The state of the industry.

MattRich

I've just finished year 2 of a graphic design degree, I am aiming to go freelance and I have a few questions about the industry.

Am I right in thinking that times are tough in the industry? Is it difficult to find work? Is it difficult to get paid a reasonable rate? I see in this forum that most designers are charging between 10 and 30 pounds per hour, does that still stand?

How much of a graphic designer's work is in web design? I'm guessing that most of the work available is to be found in this area.

Any thoughts or comments on the industry would be appreciated.

web design is actually our lowest revenue stream. Branding, application elements and design seem to be where we are busiest right now

web design is actually our lowest revenue stream. Branding, application elements and design seem to be where we are busiest right now

Thank you Jooty. Could you please specify what you mean by application elements and design?

Doing a bit of research and discovering that phone apps are a big deal right now....programming is not easy but there are very few people doing it apparently and the Guardian says that some developers can easily charge £1000 a day for their work.

Well...wow.

some developers can easily charge £1000 a day for their work
Possibly if they have an international reputation and have a queue of high profile customers but otherwise - not in a month of Sundays. Take a zero off and you have a starting wage.

Back