Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The basics of video formats and exporting/rendering in AE

Discussion in 'Animation, Motion Design & Film Making' started by Jri, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Jri

Jri Member

Hi all,

I am learning After Effects CC from scratch, and am essentially in the same position as Scotty was when he made this post a few years back.

To teach myself the basics, I have some test iPhone footage that I have dumped into AE and have messed around with it to make it look like VHS video. I have a load of design industry friends on Facebook and so would like to export the file to a web friendly Facebook/YouTube format and plonk it on Facebook to get feedback.

When I come to export it, I find myself struggling with a huge hole in my knowledge:

Video formats and encoding (cue ominous music).

As a graphic designer and illustrator of several years, I have a reasonable understanding of the file formats of static images and the respective differences between them (Your Jpegs, PNGs, GIFs etc...).

I vaguely understand what rendering is (After Effects taking the bundle of content you have arranged in the AE file and consolidating it into a less editable video that can be played and rewound - similar to flattening a complex layered Photoshop file to a basic low res Jpeg).

Video formats on the other hand are double dutch to me.

One or two tutorials (this one for example) online suggest that saving a video for web follows these basic steps:

- Finish your composition
    - Select 'Composition' > 'Add to Render Queue'
    (Things get complex here as there seems to be a range of different settings/option for your output)
    - Select 'Output Module'
    - Select 'FLV' or 'H:264' under the format drop down menu.

For some reason my relatively up to date copy of After Effects CC does not seem to have 'FLV' or 'H:264' available (I have attached a screenshot of the menu I am getting).

Does anyone have

A) any ideas about these missing options?
    B) any good resources that cover rendering/outputting as a crash course?

Any help would be massively appreciated as this is something I'd really like to master.

Thanks,

Jri

Attached Files:

2. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

LOL! I'm not that much further on.
    Actually, I was getting really into it but it's amazing what you forget after a bit of a break.

I think with CC, they dropped some of the formats such as gif.
    Adobe seemed to think it was old fashioned and nobody would really use it. FFS! (Groan).

When I rendered out for Youtube I just Googled what the best formatting options were and used them.
    As I recall I think I used Quicktime.
    They do tend to differ a bit about what's best but as long as it works. ;)