• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Table Top Gaming Mat

Hi,

I was asked to deign a gaming mat for table top games (6x4 feet 1220 x 1830mm), I have never done anything like that in the past and was wondering if anyone has experience or tips. (I have done floor-plans before though)

Mainly in terms of scale, software, set up, time and charging. I do have a rough idea, but at the moment I am just guessing. I am mainly wondering if I am underestimating the project or if it is a lot simpler than I am thinking.

any comments are welcome :)

hankscorpio

Staff member
What type of gaming mat, how many?

Seems relatively straight forward

design time x hourly rate
+ cost of printing
= total

I did a general design of a 'grass' landscape this file then would go to the printer and be produced on rubber or fabric. Playing around with it I noticed that my computer has difficulties handling the file size and simple changes become chore. :(
(IMAC 27-INCH, LATE 2012 model, 16GB RAM and 3.4GHz) It could handle 3d rendering files but really struggles with this. Maybe I am doing something wrong :(

I have been using Photoshop and I am wondering if there is an alternative?

Paul Murray

Staff member
Illustrator. I'd imagine using a vector format will speed up the process a little. I'd try and save details like grass until the end, or split the project up into smaller sections then composite them altogether at the end.

I like the idea of splitting it. Would you split each layer into a new file of work on section like 4'x4' and stitch it together?

Paul Murray

Staff member
I'd just split it up into sections. For example if the mat was 9x9 squares, I'd just create a square at a time with all layers. When all 9 squares are done I'd composite them into one larger file (or however the printer requires the final print file).

I'd just split it up into sections. For example if the mat was 9x9 squares, I'd just create a square at a time with all layers. When all 9 squares are done I'd composite them into one larger file (or however the printer requires the final print file).

I will definitely try that :) Thank you!!!!