Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swirl glow effect

Discussion in 'Graphic Design Forum:' started by ~Luke, Mar 17, 2011.

1. ~Luke

~Luke Junior Member

2. dedwardp

dedwardp Member

It looks like a texture file set to Lighten mode or something similar.

Texture files are things like this; [​IMG]

Might be able to find some in places such as DeviantArt.

3. Ant

Ant Member

When i did something like this, I just used the pen tool, duplicated it a few times and then added different setting glows to each line.

4. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

That's the way I would do it. Create the line in Illy first and glow up in Photoshop.

5. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Exactly.

6. WEBIAN

WEBIAN Senior Member

I've had a go. I' like to add some glowing effects, but I'm not sure how.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Romack

Romack Senior Member

MOAR lens flare

8. WEBIAN

WEBIAN Senior Member

I wasn’t really going to use that… but id like the swirl to be brighter.

[​IMG]

9. bredon13

bredon13 Junior Member

Emma Watson's HOT!

10. Fredskov

Fredskov Member

Hey ~Luke

I am by no means a shark in photoshop, but I achieved a similar effect on this picture.

How i did it:
    * I did, on a seperate layer, a thick line. In this case in yellow. - I gave that one a gaussian blur.
    * Then i put another line on top of it, on a separate layer, thinner, and in a white color. I duplicated this layer, and gave the lower layer of white a gaussian blur, little less than the yellows blur.
    * The upper white had a gaussian blur as well, but even less.

Finally i flatten the layers and put an opacity mask on top of it, to control where the line is gonna show.

For added effect, I painted some big color spots with low opacity on a seprate layer below the glow line. Gave those a heavy gaussian blur and gave them a "color dodge"-blend mode.

11. WEBIAN

WEBIAN Senior Member

I hope you won't hate me for this... but it doesn't look stunning ...

Anyway... nice to see this thread again. So thank you for posting :)

12. JamesBrentwood

JamesBrentwood Senior Member

I had a quick go at it, looked like a fun challenge. Took about 10 minutes or so, and given more time you could probably mimik the original photo pretty well the way I did it.

It consists of different strokes with subtle variations in colors, blurred to varying degrees, and blending modes applied, I then layered the whole folder a couple times and applied blending modes to wash the whites out and give a blinding white effect.

I couldn't be bothered to wrap the line around any more times, too much work for something I'm not putting in a portfolio ;P

[​IMG]
    [PSD]

Attached Files:

13. Fredskov

Fredskov Member

No offense taken :) By all means im no shark in photoshop, and threw it together in less than a couple of minuttes, It was'nt really meant as a complete solution but rather a hint to associate further on ideas to make it.

I'm way more familiar in vector graphic :)

14. WEBIAN

WEBIAN Senior Member

That looks much nicer.

How is everything going there in Denmark? I've always been fascinated by it,
    but I've never been there.

15. Fredskov

Fredskov Member

yeah i'm quite happy about it :) Still need some few things here and there, but its minor stuff. And it's still a LOT better than the last version anyway.

Hehe its going fine thanks - all though its not a place im going to stay in forever, i'm mostly gonna move to Ireland or something in those lines when i'm finished education in a couple of years and secured a job. I miss Paddy's Green Shamrock Shore

16. WEBIAN

WEBIAN Senior Member

What's that?

17. Fredskov

Fredskov Member

Another term for Ireland :) I was in Northern Ireland for a month not long ago

18. WEBIAN

WEBIAN Senior Member

Interesting. I found this singer when I googled it,
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2bTczkYv0U"]Paddy's Green Shamrock Shore - Paul Brady - YouTube[/ame]
    Never heard it before, but the song has an interesting mood.
    Underneath it says it was sang in 1977, which is believed
    to be an interesting period for pop music. I suppose
    it's true. It in every documentary I've watched, it sounds as if
    they had something very important going on during that
    period, kind of a secret treasure hidden in their pocket.

19. Fredskov

Fredskov Member

hehe :) Its an old irish song, i believe its even older than that - its quite nice though and pretty much describes how i feel about the island.