Sustainability and responsibility.

So are Lawyers irresponsible for defending murderers, terrorists,rapists and peado's?
Are soldiers irresponsible for killing human beings they don't know?
We get paid to do a job. If we don't like it we have that choice not to do it or to be unemployed.

Interesting discussion guys.

I read a book recently that advised a business person to run their company on the basis of a few principles that were important to them. I think it's good advice, it can bring a human aspect to the business, it gives you a chance to exercise your beliefs on a grander scale. It can even turn into a company's USP.

But...

... That's fine for your own business. If you only want to deal, exclusively, with carbon neutral companies (for example) that's your decision, it may limit your output or even kill your business, it's still your choice.
I think this debate takes on a different nature when you are trying to push personal beliefs onto clients.

Business is business, I see my role as facilitating the needs of my clients. If they ask for something to be done in a sustainable way, then great, if they are open to suggestion on this point then maybe I could offer some advice, but at the end of the day it's their concern because it's their business.
My responsibility extends to how I run my business, not how others runs theirs.
Obviously there might be situations where I would have to question my position depending what is being asked of me, if I find something morally wrong, I will refuse. Luckily I haven't been tested on this point yet.

There is a mixture of arguments on this thread, some are ethical dilemmas, others are moral. These are personal choices and aren't really a subject for debate.

Krey20 said:
Business is business, I see my role as facilitating the needs of my clients. If they ask for something to be done in a sustainable way, then great, if they are open to suggestion on this point then maybe I could offer some advice, but at the end of the day it's their concern because it's their business.
My responsibility extends to how I run my business, not how others runs theirs.
Obviously there might be situations where I would have to question my position depending what is being asked of me, if I find something morally wrong, I will refuse. Luckily I haven't been tested on this point yet.

I agree with this totally.

Berry, I think career paths lead to confrontations of personality. If you become a soldier you have to expect that there may well be some killing involved, you can try to avoid it within reason as much as possible, but you can't escape what you might have to do. I have a friend who is a marine, he has admitted he has killed people, but he said he has also almost been killed because he doubted who he was shooting at. Lawyers can make a decision to take a case, just as much as we can refuse a client.

mrp2049 said:
. Lawyers can make a decision to take a case, just as much as we can refuse a client.

I don't think many of us have a choice in that decision. A lawyer role is not to determine right or wrong simply to argue a case for his client. A public defender has no option or choice but to defend what he is instructed to defend. A designer if he is employed cannot refuse to do work unless it is illegal, or breaches his human rights as an individual. Individual designers can choose who or what they work for as is their self employed right.

I agree with you Berry and the situation is much the same as yours. The client said, plastic credit cards, so you get them credit cards. Good.

The man has murdered someone, is it your job to try and get them off and risk getting sent down for long ole time, to talk them into taking the bullet and being sent down for less years.

We have an arguement that is based around opinion, difference of opinion and then what our responsibility is.

No age jokes here, but perhaps this is a generation gap thing, as I have said, I was taught about this in uni, I have friends who have had this drummed into them at uni. There are kids who are taught about environmental responsibility in school.

Also it is a personal preference as a business person. If I worked for you, and you told me that was what I had to do, I would do it because you are my boss, I wouldn't argue with you as you are my boss and I have enough respect to shut my cakehole (mmm cake). But if I was asked by a client about it, I would try and find a responsible producer of them.

true.

My dad always told me never to discuss politics, sex or religion with your friends, unless you know them really really well. Perhaps we should add attitudes towards the environment to that list?

All we need now is a creationist to show up and this will be right open!

We're sure gotta long way to go in defining and properly grasping the sustainability issue.

I'm always seeking out greener alternatives. Recently I switched to Ecotricity for electric and now most of the money from my bills gets pumper into renewable energy investment

Back