Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SuperDrive Must Die

Discussion in 'General Software & Hardware Forum:' started by Jimlad, May 19, 2010.

1. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

I have a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac running Mac OS 10.6.3 with 3GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM.
    Yesterday it burned a music CD in iTunes.
    This evening it burned a video DVD in VisualHub.
    My SuperDrive works.

So why is it suddenly spitting out any blank CD I put in today when it was fine with them yesterday and it was fine with the blank DVD it used just minutes ago?

I need help before I resort to smashing the bloody thing with my bare hands. :mad:

Additional note, it reads commercial movie DVDs fine and is spitting out commercial music CDs (and has done on-and-off for months but still reads data discs)

Does anyone know if this is a software or a hardware issue?
  2. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Have you run Disk Utilities and repaired any bad permissions?.
    Clean up your system with's free to download.

Best I can do from here.
  3. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Done all of that mate, Onyxed the hell out of it. Thanks anyway.
  4. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Have you tried turning it off, waiting a few minutes then turning it on again....

5. Greg

Greg Active Member

Would guess it's a software issue, as Mac's don't break, do they?

Assuming the software is all up-to-date Jim?
    There's a ton of other forum threads about the subject, most seem to lead to software updates, or it reacting badly to a different brand of blank discs?

Also found this, not sure if may be relevant?
    Good luck!
  6. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Everything's up to date, and yeah Typo I did actually!
    Everything seems to work except blank CDs... blank DVDs work, Movies work, Albums work... it's just Blank CDs and it just goes like a rich tea biscuit and gives up! I've been using Philips CDs. Anyone ever have a problem with those?
  7. Greg

Greg Active Member

Have you changed the make of blank discs you've been using? Read about a few people changing make of discs and running into similar problems..
  8. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

Honestly it sounds like the cd read head needs a clean to me, most drives have a dual head system with one catering for cd's the other catering for dvd's.

You could try a cleaning disk although it's likely you'll need a new drive - that will be fun in an imac
  9. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Cant afford. I'll try the head cleaning thing though Levi I think I have a disc somewhere. And no Greg I'm about half way down a stack of 100 Philips CDs so been pretty consistent with the make for the last year or so.
    Thanks peoples.