Stuck with a logo design project

logovariations

Hello everybody!

I have an ongoing logo design project for an engineering company that offers consulting and supervising services in the food industry. The main activity is to provide mechanical engineers (supervisors) for managing and organizing site works and also to provide manpower for mechanical/industrial installations. Basically the company is doing machanical installations in big plants, mainly

Hello everybody!

I have an ongoing logo design project for an engineering company that offers consulting and supervising services in the food industry. The main activity is to provide mechanical engineers (supervisors) for managing and organizing site works and also to provide manpower for mechanical/industrial installations. Basically the company is doing machanical installations in big plants, mainly malting plants. These are big projects, there is an ongoing one in Brazil (budget over 35 millions USD), and the company works global.

The client wanted a minimal design with only blue color, and they wanted to use the 'W' letter, because it is the initial letter of the company name. I'm posting the concept they selected. I used a part of a stylized cog to symbolize the heavy industry, and combined it with a 'W' letter. The half-circle shape of the cog gives a 'global touch' to the design suggesting that the company works worldwide. Please ignore the tagline, I will change that to a more unique one. They said they like it, but something is missing from it. They can't give more detailed feedback, because they don't know what is missing, they just feel that the logo is good, but not perfect.

I'm a bit clueless here, currently don't see how could I improve this. Maybe I could play with the colors or the shape of the 'W' letter above the cog.

I'm posting the design, maybe you guys will have a great idea. Thanks in advance for your comments.

wisetec 3c.png

merged the threads... there was no point in having it twice.

As to the design... I don't see 'global' from the cog, I see a cog which is fine if they work in that area of engineering. My biggest issue though is the face that you've created with the letter, you've got 2 eyes and a mouth...

Hm, I didn't see it as a face until now. Thanks for pointing it out.
Also I didn't see that the cog can be seen as an another W.

Thank you, this was a big help to me.

That's helpful - something's missing but no more feedback on what it is... great! ;)

I much prefer the one colour - I couldn't see the cog on the light and dark blue version until I saw the white one and could see the shape better.

And to stop it looking like 2 Ws maybe remove the curve at the bottom and keep the normal W shape, as I don't think the slight curve represents global at all.

Unless they want you to completely change the design, can't really see how to add 'global' element, maybe a semi circle line starting at the top of 'wisetec' and ending at the 'c' (with the icon obvs in the middle) - hardly original, but without more feedback it's hard to know how much to change the concept...

Thanks for all the useful comments. Finally I decided to drop this concept, because the client couldn't provide enough feedback to make it work for him.

I made new concepts, and he approved this:
forum.png

I'm really struggling to see a stylised W in there to be honest. I sort of see one, but my mind can't focus on it. I actually liked the previous version but I'm not the client. Oh well, you can keep that one for a future project I guess.

I can see it when I looked at it for a while, it's not an obvious W, it's more of a W in 'perspective'... Do I like it, not too sure, does it tell me about the company, not in the slightest

I prefer the new one, yes, not the most 'w' like logo but looks modern…I quite liked the previous one too but looking again, small on screen makes me think of a water company?! Anyway, happy client is the main thing!

Back