Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Start up for a fake beginner..

Discussion in 'Universities & Training Forum:' started by LucyFali, Apr 17, 2017.

1. LucyFali

LucyFali New Member

I have been literally a click away from purchasing the creative cloud for good half a year. I have also been looking into courses which may get me started. I wonder if getting creative cloud would be sufficient at this stage. I am unsure whether being able to use the software and view tutorials without having set briefs and feedback is the right start. The graphic design courses I found online, including a fast-track graphic design college, seem to be very expensive and lack credibility. Where do you suggest I should start?

My background is in art and design but software has missed me and I need to get into it.. and finish with a portfolio...

2. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

What stage are you at? Do you or will you need Adobe software for your day to day work? Creative Cloud is the industry standard package for a lot of creatives. In short, if you want to work with/for other creative professionals and studios, you will need CC. If you're working solo, however, then there are cheaper alternatives for a lot of industries that I actually think are better in some respects.

3. LucyFali

LucyFali New Member

I know quite a bit of theory of art and design and there is much that I can apply from my studio practice to graphic design. However, I only know how to open the programmes and what they can roughly do.
    Also, I might look into working for others for some time. Do you think I should go for CC or start with something else? I wonder if having access to CC would be enough for me as I might need work on projects to learn the software.. How would you approach it ?

4. hankscorpio

hankscorpio Moderator Staff Member

The programmes are not really something you can learn by reading or watching, it's best to be doing. Lynda.com have great courses to take you from start to finish.

And the best projects can be to recreate the junk mail that comes in the post and try to make improvements to them.

If you don't want to go this route then I encourage you to get on a course locally that teaches these things.

5. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

I've heard some less than positive things about these "online courses".

There are so many resources on the web now like Hank says, Lynda is good.
    I used it to learn Illustrator when I moved from Freehand.

If you're going the Adobe route, I'd concentrate on learning Photoshop and illustrator first.
    You can get a 30 day free trial with Adobe products so that may be a way to test the water.
    You could get Ps first the Ai and a couple of months subscription to Lynda for about $50.

Snapping at Adobe's heals is Affinity Designer and Photo which are really cheap at around £50 one off price.
    They both work really similarly to Adobe products and many say they're better.

6. hankscorpio

hankscorpio Moderator Staff Member

I use InDesign 99.9% of the time. Very rarely do I have Illustrator or Photoshop even open.