• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Some recent work


br3n

Senior Member
#1
Not much being posted here atm so thought id post some small projects ive had recently, They have been seriously low budget - quick turn arounds on behalf of a friend so theyre not my greatest, but at the same time I dont like putting out work I'm not happy with, The first is a redesign for company Booze 4 Less in Lincoln : Home - Brief was to merge into one page, make it more student friendly and maintain as many similarities in layout for existing code to be updated easily.

Existing Version
Booze 4 Less in Lincoln : Home

My version:


_

Project two was again seriously low on budget, helping out the same friend - A plumber wanted a website but wasnt exactly sure on what he wanted, these were my concepts.





Really not very impressive but tried to put myself in the position of a customer - what would I actually want to find out from the website, I decided that a few points + corgi was all that really mattered. Imagery is just for concept purposes and the logo text/font on the second was due to existing business cards etc.
 
#6
Haha..come on lads. Feedback, not beer discussions! ;)

(25 cans for 24 is expensive though, but incl delivery it's not too bad I guess :D)

Nice work Br3n. I like all of them but prefer 1 and 2.

Are you after some criticism or are you just showing off? :p:)
 

br3n

Senior Member
#7
Im always up for crit but these are done and dusted so not sure thers much point, theyre not my best efforts either as the budget really wasnt there to spend hours and hours on. Not showing off either really just noticed there hasnt been much posted recently was hoping to kick start a thread frenzy
 
#8
Cool concepts dude. One quick thing which isn't design related. On the plumbing one, it needs to be Gas Safe not Corgi, Corgi were took over and are not valid any more. Here's a plumbing site I did last year with the logo on link
 
#9
br3n said:
Im always up for crit but these are done and dusted so not sure thers much point, theyre not my best efforts either as the budget really wasnt there to spend hours and hours on. Not showing off either really just noticed there hasnt been much posted recently was hoping to kick start a thread frenzy
Just kidding with the showing off part :). You're right it has been pretty quiet in here recently. Maybe people are too busy enjoying the summer sun :). Thanks for sharing your work though!
 

Sunburn

Active Member
#10
Aarlev said:
..... You're right it has been pretty quiet in here recently. Maybe people are too busy enjoying the summer sun :). Thanks for sharing your work though!
I'm just sick and tired of helping out people who try to pass themselves off as web designers / developers, who then go on to become reliant upon people on the forums helping them rather then actually putting in some hard effort and time to learn the skills required.... but perhaps this should be left for another post.

nice work br3n... for a low budget your mate should be well stoked with them.
 

br3n

Senior Member
#12
Thanks for the comments people :)

Sunburn said:
I'm just sick and tired of helping out people who try to pass themselves off as web designers / developers, who then go on to become reliant upon people on the forums helping them rather then actually putting in some hard effort and time to learn the skills required.... but perhaps this should be left for another post.
I dont know if thats directed at me but in my defence ive never said I do the code side of web design anyway, Ive always worked with a coder and have only recently started putting effort into learning the proper ways of doing things, html/css etc. I think of it like an architect, come up with the solution, do the relevant planning and working out and then hand it over to the builders who actually make it happen.
 
#14
Chill out fella, have a beer.
I hear Booze4Less have some good offers on.

and they deliver it to your door...blimey

on second thoughts just go to the pub!
 

charles

Senior Member
#15
Sunburn said:
I'm just sick and tired of helping out people who try to pass themselves off as web designers / developers, who then go on to become reliant upon people on the forums helping them rather then actually putting in some hard effort and time to learn the skills required.... but perhaps this should be left for another post.

nice work br3n... for a low budget your mate should be well stoked with them.
Agreed if not pointed at anyone in particular.

Similarly; also not pointed at anyone, but coders who pass themselves of as web designers are a ball ache also.
 

br3n

Senior Member
#16
At no point do I take offence to anything said on here, so I dont want to sound like I am insulted, more curious.

I agree with the "if your a coder and you have no clue about design, dont pretend your a designer" and the other way round, as long as you dont pretend your more than you are - wheres the issue?
 

Levi

Moderator
Staff member
#19
br3n said:
At no point do I take offence to anything said on here, so I dont want to sound like I am insulted, more curious.

I agree with the "if your a coder and you have no clue about design, dont pretend your a designer" and the other way round, as long as you dont pretend your more than you are - wheres the issue?
I'm kind of the same, as long as you don't try to sell yourself as something you're not is there really any issue with being one thing or another. Also of the view that you shouldn't take offence (except personal attacks) on a forum, the whole principle of a forum was to (heatedly) debate topics of interest etc.

If I take myself for example, I can offer the services of updating/maintaining (ie text images etc) a website as I can do that pretty easy etc but theres no way that I would put myself forward as a full on designer/developer for websites, my knowledge is at present fairly limited (I try to learn new things as often as possible) in comparison to day in day out web people. I'm pretty good at reading and then editting/adjusting html code now but if you asked me to write it from scratch I'd more than likely be screwed :cry: I also very much doubt that the code on my own site is the neatest in the world (it does work on ALL my browsers and my new site should be compliant too when its finished :)) Alot of trial and error went into things on my site (rollovers on my 'lytebox' for example - even the lytebox author couldn't help but I was stubborn and got it working) so its not really productive use of my time either :D

In many ways I would feel bad if I was selling myself in a field that I had no real right (if you get what I mean) to be in.

In the same way I look at all these 'forum' designers (not the design job types but those with 'photoshop') and think ooh, you've managed to find a filter etc, have you managed to do anything more and often as not their 'l33t' attitude can grate a little too.