Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solid State Drives

Discussion in 'General Software & Hardware Forum:' started by hankscorpio, May 27, 2014.

1. hankscorpio

hankscorpio Moderator Staff Member

I think I need to upgrade my laptop hard drive. I'm looking at the Samsung 250GB 840 EVO Series SATA.

Anybody got any experience in SSD for graphic design? Does it make a huge difference? Was it worth the upgrade?

Mostly using InDesign along with Photoshop and Illustrator, files are not that massive, so there won't be a massive change in read/write speeds, I imagine?

But overall, does it give your computer a bump in speed and processing etc.
  2. Corrosive

Corrosive Moderator Staff Member

You'll definitely see an increase in speed performance if you get a decent one. I've got one in my laptop now and it is a world of difference.
  3. hankscorpio

Cheers for that.

I like Samsung and that one gets a good review so I'll probably go with that, unless there are other suggestions?
  4. retroandy

retroandy New Member

All i have heard is great things about SSD to. I only bought my new pc this year and didn't think about it till it was to late. I will definitely be installing one soon after the feedback i have received
  5. Edge

Edge Active Member

I've got a 500gb samsung ssd in this laptop and all the adobe stuff opens instantly (ok 2 secs max). I just wouldn't use anything but an SSD now - but don't skimp - get a 500gb at least. Get a connector so you can just clone your old hard drive, bung the SSD in and everything will be there as before but way faster. I used overclockers.
  6. Edge

Edge Active Member

The only issue with sticking an ssd in a NEW laptop though is you void the warranty. Uh and yeah, I did it anyway.
  7. hankscorpio

Warranty smorranty lol
  8. @GCarlD

@GCarlD Well-Known Member

Interesting, I didn't think the hard drive would make THAT much difference in terms of speed and performance, I always thought your processor and boost of RAM would be the most important for a speedy machine. Hence when customising my new iMac this year I went OTT with the processor and RAM and stuck with a standard 1TB HD, plus i've also got a 1TB external HD.
  9. hankscorpio

I save all my stuff to the cloud nowadays, google drive and dropbox. Whatever I need to work on I just download it, or sync the drives etc. It's very handy.

I've always wanted to get an SSD, as I've heard a lot of good things about them and the boost in speed. Some people have reported a boot time significantly greater. And they have reported a greater increase in load times of applications and files.

I suppose if you're reading and writing to disk at all then 500mb/s is pretty awesome!

I have on file that's about 7gb! It takes an age to load.