Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

setting up press advert

Discussion in 'Graphic Design Forum:' started by dekock, Sep 23, 2010.

1. dekock

dekock New Member

It must be its late at night but a magazine has sent me thru a press advert specification and it doesnt make a lick of sense for editing. :icon_scared:

"17cm x 6 columns wide"

I have it set up for 170mm x 60mm - but the spec sheet reads: 6 columns '266mm'.

Not sure whats going on there! :icon_thumbdown:
  2. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

The width of columns varies from publication to publication and will also need to include the space in between; you're estmate assumes columns that are 10mm wide (think about that one) without any gutter.
  3. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

Ask them to clarify. It's better to admit you're not sure what they want than to have to redo it and look unprofessional
  4. sthomas

sthomas Member

Most magazines will have a Mechanical Specifications sheet where you'll be able to find crop, trim and artwork dimensions for all of the advert sizes that the magazine offers.

If this magazine doesn't have a spec sheet, then you could try phoning up the production department to see if they could help.
  5. john watters

john watters Member

If ou ever need Specs for Publications check BRAD British Rates and Data, it has all of the major and many minor publications (Like the Embalmer???). Column widths and bleeds etc.
    Very useful.
  6. blanchard

blanchard Member

It looks like it may be a tabloid size magazine, like The Sun newspaper size if this is the case then a 17x6 would be half a page horizontal at those dimensions.
  7. john watters

john watters Member

The size I gather is 17 cm deep x 26.6cms wide. If you have not completed the job, I would ask for confirmation in email to keep yourself clear.