Screen heights

mrp2049

I was wondering what a good bench mark for screen heights is work to a 960 width?

I've been thinking about a rough concept for a one page site for bands that is fairly static, but I want to keep the width to height constant and I don't want it to turn into a massively scrolling page.

Does this make sense?

Since you're designing for 960px width I'm assuming you want it to be optimized for 1024x768px? So if you just keep it around 700px in the height you should be good to go. :)

Might look a bit weird and very small in higher resolutions with a fixed height of 700px though. You could use some JS/jQuery and have it sliding down to the next part of the page to avoid scrolling? Not the best example, but if you click one of the menu items here, it slides down to the next section. http://www.volll.com/#section_main

Hope that makes sense :)

Makes complete sense, surprisingly!

I want to avoid a large amount of content, which might sound a little surprising. The idea is to have a .co.uk or .com site that is just music player, photo, logo, links to online content. Perhaps incorporating a twitter widget, to have the content change a little.

The idea is to act as a base for a band to link to all of their online content.

Does THAT make sense?

sounds fine except if you take into account netbook screens which are 1024 x 600 px (ie 10 inch widescreen)

Screw netbooks! I'm joking, but I dont think I can factor everything in. Or if I can, I certainly don't know how too!

And yes Becky, that kinda hits the nail on the head.

What about having a few versions with different heights, or a fluid height, and then use a script that detects resolution and adjusts the height accordingly?

Fix a background image to the top of the html, one to the bottom of the body, then have a 500px high container centred vertically and horizontally in the browser. Gives the illusion of what you're after.

I would go with Harry's idea! You just have to be a bit clever with the design so that it doesn't look weird on larger screens. Or you could just have the whole site centered to the screen at your fixed height and width, then use a background image/ gradient/ pattern as full screen. (pretty much what Harry suggested)

Harry said:
Fix a background image to the top of the html, one to the bottom of the body, then have a 500px high container centred vertically and horizontally in the browser. Gives the illusion of what you're after.

Good man! I would never have thought of that!

Back