Revamped Website

dedwardp

Hi everyone,

I don't often post for feedback and things on here but I've just revamped my site and thought I'd see if anybody has suggestions and things like that.

Much appreciated, cheers.

Very nice design wise, code could do with some work. Javascript should go at the bottom, use lists for navigation and try not to use <br /> tags

Very nice. Very sleek.
Looks almost like a Wordpress template, I like it a lot :)

Thanks Tony :icon_smile:

Very nice design wise, code could do with some work. Javascript should go at the bottom, use lists for navigation and try not to use <br /> tags

Thanks Chris, may I also ask why when it comes to the break tags?

I appreciate what you're saying about the lists and I think that, deep down, I knew that really... but otherwise where would they be misused? I'm not sure, but I think off the top of my head that I've only used them sparingly when I consider it all to be the same sort of block, aside from the navigation in the header and blog that you mention.

Cheers.

As for the break tags, they're not semantic at all, also the context you're using them is to create space between elements for styling purposes which is a job for CSS, they're also quite an old way of doing things

Really? When was this? This is from the help docs.

I noticed it when I switched to the new Analytics layout. This is right above where it gives you the tracking code;

Code:
Copy the following code, then paste it onto every page that you want to track immediately before the closing </head> tag.

That help is not up-to-date.

For some reason best known to them, Google has now advised that analytics code goes before the closing head tag.

The site is very nice, great job.

Thanks Corrosive.

As for the break tags, they're not semantic at all, also the context you're using them is to create space between elements for styling purposes which is a job for CSS, they're also quite an old way of doing things

That's fair enough, thanks.

As I say, I think I knew really I ought not to use them for the navigation but otherwise I think I've only used them where I've felt the two lines are part of the same element.

As for the break tags, they're not semantic at all

I have always agreed with this however I still use them to make an address split over multiple lines within an address tag.

How would you do this Chris?

PS sorry for hijacking the thread just wondering

The address is one of the weirdest things to markup, there's so many ways to do it but no one really knows which is correct. There's the <address> element however this is can only be used in the context of 'the web author's address'.

You could use <br> tags which are considered 'ok' I believe for this scenario, you could also use a <p> tag for each line, you could use a list, but a definition list.

The newer way people seem to be doing it is, using the definition list and using microformats, there's more here: Microdata - Dive Into HTML5

It's a bit crazy that's there isn't just one simple and easy way to do it :icon_confused:

You could use <br> tags which are considered 'ok' I believe for this scenario, you could also use a <p> tag for each line, you could use a list, but a definition list.

See, that's where I find the <br/> tags useful to put in.

For me, you don't want the two lines to have the double space that the <p> tag would put in, but at the same time, setting up a <p> class to narrow it seems quite fussy when you could just break the line where necessary.

I suppose you could have a <p class="break"> or something to universally apply it actually... oh well :icon_blushing:

Like I say I believe they are considered ok for an address, personally I'd use a definition list. But it's down to interpretation.

Revamped Website looks good!

Hi - I like the design of your website. Its very to the point and i also like the colour scheme you have chosen. The bright is bright and airy and fits well on screen.

If there is one thing that I am not liking to much about the website design its self its that the footer lacks any substance but this in my opinion as a website designer is the only thing.

Good work!

Sorry for hijacking, but I have a feeling that your header/footer will stretch to fit every browser? Like, it'll never come up short?
How do you do that?

Back