Retainers?

peekaboo

Hi ppl,

Another request for knowledge!

We have just been awarded a substantial contract, but the client is requesting we can work on a retainer setup as there are around 30 projects spread over the next year but we have no experience in that side of things, only ever worked on a per project basis, can anyone share their experiences?

Have any pointers on how to work out monthly cost? And what would be so very grateful if anyone has any example retainer type contract/terms they use?

Any advice would be great!

Brett

I asked this question a few months ago and Berry gave a very useful section of his retainer proposal http://www.designforums.co.uk/running-design-business-freelancing/2172-retainer-fees-regular-work.html

I've just come to the end of a 3 month retainer which worked out well, should be picking it up again next year. In terms of working out a monthly cost my agreement was for £X for 60 hours a month and an hourly rate for anything over the 60 hours. This worked out well as it meant the client knew roughly what what they would be charged and I could plan my time.

I think the only thing to be wary of is setting your retainer hours too high. Although tempting to get an agreement with as many guaranteed hours as poss, you don't want to be in a situation where you are putting all your eggs into one basket.

PM me if you want a copy of the agreement I set up.

Hi Russell,

Thats great! Thanks fella!

Will take a read of that section now :)

I'll PM you to.

Brett

Back