Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Requesting client contact information

Discussion in 'General Business Forum:' started by SWATTDesign, Sep 10, 2012.

1. SWATTDesign

SWATTDesign Member

Had a bit of a strange experience last week that is now making me question my practice of requesting new clients to fill in a New Client Form.

I did a pitch for a new business college that a UK businessman is opening up in Kuala Lumpur. The pitch was successful and we managed to hammer out all the negotiations. Just before sending out the contract, I sent the client a New Client Form asking for basic contact information in order to get the client set up on my studio management software. The form asks for: Name, Company, Position, Phone Number, Email Address, Address, Invoice Address (if different), whether they are a registered charity, and where they first heard about me.

I got a very snotty email back stating that I'm good but not that good and the project promptly came to a very sudden end.

Am I asking too much for clients to fill this form in?

2. Katedesign

Katedesign Well-Known Member

I would have thought that was reasonable! You're not asking for anything personal - like their mother's maiden name...PIN number to their bank...Would suggest to me that they might have become dodgy. Get the contract signed first then, I suppose (with a clause that unless they fill in the form you don't do anything)
  3. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

Think yourself lucky. Sounds like they've just saved you a lot of hassle down the line :D
  4. Tony Hardy

Tony Hardy Well-Known Member

This is the one thing that I always forget to do. Always always forget to gather client contact details, normally just the email is enough.