• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

really struggling for a name

tim

remember me talking about a name for my new company?

well, i've been thiking ever since then, and i have no idea which one to pick. i've had some decent ideas and then lost them because either the domain was taken or it was actually shite. :p

how did you guys come up with a name, first off? i've been around the UK recently so it's not like i dont have any inspiration coming my way, but i just can't find anything that sounds good and isnt taken!

second, anyone wanna give me some pointers? like links of choosing "the most appropriate name for your business" etc?

Tim

Ok I'm just gonna write whatever pops into my head. :)

Ginger Beer Creative

Filter Five

Tipi Creative

Premium

Primetime

Baseline Creative

Pinch

I think Berry wrote a blog post once that told the story of how they came up with Armadillo and I think they just wrote down as many names as possible and picked the best.

Levi

Staff member
Same, just put a load of names down, narrowed down, went looking for domain name, found I couldn't use it, started over and ended up with my business name (Image Resolutions) which I now realise has a duality about it - image resolutions as in print etc and also the 3D aspect of resolving a model into an image so I was quite surprised on that after I realised :)

Pinch is already quite well established in the UK Soren

As to Tim, the only one I thought of off the top of my head was TP Design and that was taken, even had an idea for the logo :(

tim

yeh this is my problem Levi. i'd come up with a great idea for a logo etc, get excited about it, and find the domain was taken.

am still searching for a pun of some kind or just something short and memorable, but every fail possible is appearing.

Anon.

Levi said:
the only one I thought of off the top of my head was TP Design and that was taken, even had an idea for the logo :(
how about Teepee Design, just make it clear on your website you don't design tents... :D

Levi

Staff member
I just thought after looking at your current site

how about tmp design or just tmp, both domains are readily available in the UK and I can see a really nice flowing design for the logo :)

I'll send the bill in later :p

Anon, tepee (correct spelling) is already in the UK so that might cause a few issues

tim

just to let you guys know, it's a joint business, with one of my designer friends from my area, so it can't reall be TP or TMP or similar, im not freelancing technically anymore.

Levi

Staff member
ok how about
couples design service :p
duplex designs
twincept
Not freelancing anymore design incorporated, obviously shortened to NFADI :D

Xenonsoft

I like Sorens start.

I'll continue.

Monkeys.

Cupboards.

Design.

Orange.

That.

Want.

Yurgh.

Blasé

Ooh la.

Mmmm, toast.

Interesting.

Intuitive.

Flavoured.

Twist.

Stick.

Twirl.

Dance.

Barrel.

Roll.

C

chrismitchell

this is exactly how Widdlers Wee was born :D i'll try to help:

Space

Turnip

Shelf

Hanger

Cardboard

Carbon

Paint

Toast (Damn you Fred... now I want some Toast :D mmmmmm)

berry

I did this conversation before somewhere. Don't get hung up on a name that tries to describe your business or you'll end up with the' Cute & Curly Hairdressers' or 'Fringe Benefit Hairdresser ' syndrome.
Think Apple, Orange, Shell, Exxon, Nike, Puma etc...no relationship at all to the product. Brand is not a logo it's what a company represents.

Pick up a Thesaurus and just do 40 or so random blinds stabs, You may be surprised what comes up. Armadillo was picked from the index pages of a cookery book in my kitchen. We could have been Tomato or Red Snapper

C

chrismitchell

really Berry? I would've thought it was semi tactical to call yourselves Armadillo.. so you are first in the Yellow Pages listings etc (due to it being alphabetical :))

berry

chrismitchell said:
really Berry? I would've thought it was semi tactical to call yourselves Armadillo.. so you are first in the Yellow Pages listings etc (due to it being alphabetical :))

I never actually put that into the equation as I've never got any business in 30 odd years thru a Yellow Pages listingYellow Pages. I prefer going for a phonetic ring to a name. 2/4 syllables it makes for a 'happy' tuneful name recall. Geordies like singing, ringing phonetics of up and down, Brummies and Scousers too.

tim

haha thaks for the tip off berry. you're 100% right (as usual, dammit).

good to hear where yours came from though, it's ra'r interestin