Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Real name Vs Company name

Discussion in 'Logo Design & Brand Identity Forum:' started by GilmoreVisuals, Jul 13, 2013.

1. GilmoreVisuals

GilmoreVisuals Active Member

Since I started graphic design (for about 3 years now) I have called myself 'Gilmore Visuals', however, I am now only using 'Alex Gilmore'.

The reason for this is because I have been thinking ahead to how I want to move forwards in my career as a graphic designer, that is, to work for a design company full time whilst having occasional freelance work. In the two interviews I had to get my apprenticeship there seemed to be a small concern (understandably) for me creating competition through my own freelance whilst working with them.
    My conclusion is that branding myself as Alex Gilmore could be seen just as a showcase of my work rather than freelance competitor, if that makes any logical sense at all.
    So in this context, am I better off going for my name rather than creating a 'company' name?

Edit: All of this is to plan how and when to rebrand myself, when I do eventually (could be years from now) try and find a large/respected design company.

2. shaunalynn

shaunalynn Active Member

I always feel like using your name makes you more approachable in the industry. People are more willing to freelance a single person rather than something that sounds like a small firm.
    I use my name with a short description of what I do.
    "Shauna Lynn - Hand lettering & Illustration"

The Simulator and GilmoreVisuals like this.
  3. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

we've got a thread on this somewhere already....

4. Gianluca Teti

Gianluca Teti Member

Go with your full name Alex. Although a designer is not necessarily an artist, a name confers authority to his/her work.

GilmoreVisuals likes this.
  5. matt

matt Member

Agreed. A full, proper name seems much more grown up and professional to me.
    Ultimately a client is employing you — your talents and knowledge, so why not just use your name.

GilmoreVisuals likes this.
  6. GilmoreVisuals

GilmoreVisuals Active Member

Cheers guys - i'll keep in this direction then! :)