Ready for some serious critique...

Sorry for late reply mate but didn't really have time to give proper feedback till now.

To be brutally honest, I'm really disappointed. I was expecting to see this really cool grungy design from you, but this just looks really dated and 'boxy'. It looks like a 90's website (and not in a cool ironic retro kinda way :)). The left alignment doesn't work for this site at all. It could potentially work if the site was a bit longer and wider, but it feels really lost, especially in higher resolutions.

defyj.jpg

This design doesn't do your work (which is amazing) justice at all. It actually detracts from your work and devalue it IMHO.

I don't understand why you've gone for this type of design as I don't think it reflects your style at all. You do these amazing grungy type of designs, so I'd perhaps go more in that direction with the website and break out of that 'box' a bit more? I'd consider a more 'open' and organic design/layout that fills up more of the screen, puts more focus on your work, and allows it to breathe.

Here's a few examples of what I mean, and the kind of style I was expecting to see from you.

30 Beautiful Examples of Grunge in Web Design

I know Web Design isn't your strongest subject, but it's still a form of design and you've done some really cool Myspace designs etc. Your typography is usually really strong, so why are we not seeing any of that on this site? It looks like the text is just thrown in with no thought given to it, no headings, hierachy etc.

Hope that helps!

Thanks!
Soren

Sorren - when you brought your monitor did the salesman get confused between feet and inches? that fooker is huge!

Gotta say I agree on the whole Mike, I think you can do MILES better, maybe you need to change your thinking, a website doesn't need to be a standardised header / content / footer - Don't think too much about how you'll build it whilst designing as I think that's how your restricting yourself.

Design it then work out how the hell you'll make it work later, make it a challenge! there's plenty of help on here for coding advice!

I think this was kinda my problem, I don't know how to go about making something that is like what I do. So I went with something straight forward.

I wanted to just prove to myself that I could build something and get it live. I did, now I can worry about making something that looks better.

I appreciate the feedback guys, I genuinely do.

Doing this has been a real eye openner for me, as I have started to realise how print focussed I have become! There are soooo many things that I haven't considered, apparently giant monitors being the most obvious one.

tbwcf said:
Sorren - when you brought your monitor did the salesman get confused between feet and inches? that fooker is huge!

He could have just set it to a huge resolution for the pic.

Or he has two screens.

Or he really does have a ginormous monitor. :p

Okay okay while you guys are showing off your tiny screens I'll just tell you that unless you have one of these (like myself) you're a crappy designer...

800px-Cowboys_stadium_television_screen.JPG

tbwcf said:

Haha! :D Unfortunately it's my work computer. Just got the 27 inch iMacs a few weeks back. I wish it was mine though! :D

Lol @ Tom! :lol:

I'm betting Berry doesn't. His monitor stand is probably 2 work experience kids holding his 60" screen!

mrp2049 said:
I'm betting Berry doesn't. His monitor stand is probably 2 work experience kids holding his 60" screen!

The chair being the remains of Graduate 'freelancers' he has culled

Typo said:
See he is mortal.

Thats just what he wants you to think :p secretly he's been alive since the creation of the universe.. His fart was the big bang :lol:

Back