Quark Anybody?

jason_ballard

Hey all,

I have recently applied for a job where the company works with Quark 7.5. Through my university course and my years experience working inside a design agency I have always used InDesign and I know my way round quite well now. I last worked on Quark when I was back at college making quick layouts but obviously not to an industry standard. I plan to do some training in Quark before I proceed any further with this job.

My question being to the people that are equally as good in both packages, is there much difference between InDesign and Quark 7.5 now? I know both packages have closed the gap on their differences a bit, but i know there are still differences.

Any advice on training methods or noticeable differences would be much appreciated :D

Many Thanks

Jason

Hi,

I think quark is easier, I prefer working with it on a dual screen setup though as quark 8 has a floating toolbar that can get in the way a bit if you can't be bothered to keep minimalizing it.

function wise it seems to work well with psd imports etc so i continue to use it.

I can't explain why but i just prefer it..

easier to learn as well

I've used Quark since it was first introduced in ........
It is still the industry standard, although indesign will overtake it in the next few years.
Printers and design house are slowly making the change. But Quark is the one

Thanks for the feedback.

Ssince posting up the question I have downloaded a trial version and had a play round to see if any of it comes back to me, quite a lot of it surprisingly. Few little niggles, such being able to resize objects from a specific point and resize the object consistently by typing in values. Maybe I have missed it some where, but I'm thinking not. All in all I feel like I'm going backwards re-learning Quark as it seems sooo behind InDesign.

Hopefully InDesign will carry on pushing through studios and maybe it will be universal one day, yeah right :D

Thanks again :D

Berry said:
I've used Quark since it was first introduced in ........
It is still the industry standard, although indesign will overtake it in the next few years.
Printers and design house are slowly making the change. But Quark is the one

I started out in Quark too.. I think I was using version 2 or something like that when I first started LOL.. Long before Pagemaker LOL

Back