Pub Restaurant Menu Design

Yes, I usually do that as well.

The pub is only 5 mins up the road, so not much time wasted. The only trouble is that its my local and I feel like I should do it for that price because I know the guys.

They said that their previous designer could do three menu designs in 2 hours, so I worked that out at about £8 per hour. That's a bit below my current rate!!

Like I said, I've never faced this problem before, so its definitely a good learning experience!

The thing that really got me was when they said 'all you need to do is just slap the text on and then click a button to make some pretty stuff appear around the sides' ....

Will said:
The thing that really got me was when they said 'all you need to do is just slap the text on and then click a button to make some pretty stuff appear around the sides' ....

Your reply should have been 'I'm going to open a restaurant just down the road, all I need to do is slap some food in the microwave and hit a button to make some nice tastes appear'!

Greg said:
Your reply should have been 'I'm going to open a restaurant just down the road, all I need to do is slap some food in the microwave and hit a button to make some nice tastes appear'!

Haha, brilliant! Thats exactly true.

I'm just putting together an email to them now. Reckon this is fair enough?

Thanks for meeting with me earlier to discuss the menu designs.

I would love to work with you on these but unfortunately I cannot feasibly create 3 menus with a budget of £50, which is roughly about £16 per menu. Creating an elegant, sleek, classy design (which is what I had in mind) with plenty of space, beautiful typography and complementary illustrations around the edges, would take significantly longer than 2 hours of my time.

I hope you can understand my situation, but perhaps we can work together on some of the adverts you mentioned, and also the redesign of the pub website.

Sounds fair enough to me, only concern would be if he's used to paying £50 for 3 menus, will you get a similar experience with the adverts and website? Or are you just being nice, for now :)

I was just softening the blow! Unless they get realistic I definitely won't do any work for them.

Back