Providing Logo Sketches before payment

bsugar

Hi,

I just had someone call me to see if I could produce a logo design for him. I asked him what his budget was, what his business/product was etc and told him what my process was. He said he was happy to go ahead with the job so I sent him my logo brief and asked him to complete and return it to me with full payment. He was not happy, said he did not know if I could design despite seeing samples of my work on my website and being a member of a whatsapp group we are both on and which I have contributed to for months. I said that I could see his position and was willing to get on with the job once I received his logo brief and 50% payment instead. He then went on to say that the logo companies that he has dealt with in the past offer rough sketches of his logo before taking any payment which gives the client a chance to see if the designer is any good. The client can then decide if they want to work with the designer and go ahead with the job.

I have never heard of logo companies offering sketches for free. Have you? If so if would be useful to hear your views on it with regards to pros and cons. If I am honest I would prefer the client to put down all or 50% of the payment and I get on with the job, not start doing sketches when there is no guarantee they will work with me.

It would also be good to hear your views on asking for full and 50% payments upfront. Thanking you in advance for your feed back guys :X3::oops::sick:

50/50 is pretty usual but I'd never ask for full payment in advance personally.
Lol. Maybe I am a little greedy. I remember back in the day when I used to see a private tutor who used to give me web design lessons. He always asked for full cash upfront. I learn't from him. I think I will go back to asking for 50%. Thats more accounts admin and faffing around but hey. Thank you Scotty :)

I've had it before where someone says they want to see sketches before doing any business. The fact is that even doing sketches is your time, and that's what they pay for, your time, skill and expertise, whether it's done on a computer or on paper. Generally a logo should start on paper anyway.

But the point is, if you do sketches for no fee, that person can take your sketch to a dodgy website and get it drawn badly for a few quid.

Always ask for a fee up front. You don't go into buy groceries and pick something you don't usually eat and go to the till and say, hey how do I know I like this, maybe I'll go home and eat it, and if I like it I'll come back and pay.

It just doesn't work like that.

I build wordpress plugins. Many of them used on business websites and one of them used for calculating repayments. I often get companies (especially from Africa) asking for new features and then getting all upset when I ask to be paid for the work. One of them was a successful loan company who baulked at paying $90 for a small update. The Norwegians on the other hand never complain at the fees.

The concept (sketches) can often be the bulk of the work.
The bit where you do all your thought and research.
Why would you hand that over for free?

Making the logo as a final vector can often be a simple art working task.

No deposit, no work. It's that simple. 50/50 is pretty standard, though for small jobs you can ask for the full amount up front. This is really between you and the client. Walk away from anyone that refuses to pay a deposit or wants to "see what you can do" before agreeing to pay. You will never regret not working for these people.

50% deposit, non-refundable unless it is an exceptional circumstance. I have never heard of and would never dream of asking for the full amount up front. Some of my clients pay me the total cost up front before I even start any work, but that's because they already know what I am capable of, that I can do the job and they ultimately trust me. That relationship has been built over time though, although I never expect more than 50% prior to starting the work.

I've had it before where someone says they want to see sketches before doing any business. The fact is that even doing sketches is your time, and that's what they pay for, your time, skill and expertise, whether it's done on a computer or on paper. Generally a logo should start on paper anyway.

But the point is, if you do sketches for no fee, that person can take your sketch to a dodgy website and get it drawn badly for a few quid.

Always ask for a fee up front. You don't go into buy groceries and pick something you don't usually eat and go to the till and say, hey how do I know I like this, maybe I'll go home and eat it, and if I like it I'll come back and pay.

It just doesn't work like that.

Thanks for replying. Some people just devalue designers and do not appreciate that it takes time to create. He actually came back onto the whatsapp group and continued to make a fuss over it. I appreciate your feed back. Happy Thursday :giggle:

I build wordpress plugins. Many of them used on business websites and one of them used for calculating repayments. I often get companies (especially from Africa) asking for new features and then getting all upset when I ask to be paid for the work. One of them was a successful loan company who baulked at paying $90 for a small update. The Norwegians on the other hand never complain at the fees.

Imagine. Lets all just give our services for free. Thanks and have a great day :giggle:

The concept (sketches) can often be the bulk of the work.
The bit where you do all your thought and research.
Why would you hand that over for free?

Making the logo as a final vector can often be a simple art working task.

I appreciate that feedback. Thanks a lot Scotty :giggle:

No deposit, no work. It's that simple. 50/50 is pretty standard, though for small jobs you can ask for the full amount up front. This is really between you and the client. Walk away from anyone that refuses to pay a deposit or wants to "see what you can do" before agreeing to pay. You will never regret not working for these people.

I think you are spot on Paul. Especially if you are confident in your work. I just wanted to put this out there and get some feedback. I do appreciate you taking time to respond. Great stuff :giggle:

50% deposit, non-refundable unless it is an exceptional circumstance. I have never heard of and would never dream of asking for the full amount up front. Some of my clients pay me the total cost up front before I even start any work, but that's because they already know what I am capable of, that I can do the job and they ultimately trust me. That relationship has been built over time though, although I never expect more than 50% prior to starting the work.

Yes I respect that. I ask for 50% in normal cases, especially if its a website job which costs the client quite a bit of money. If I get the feeling that the client will be a difficult one and its a small logo or leaflet design I will ask for full payment upfront. Time is running, 7am already! I must get jump off this computer now. Thanks so much for your feedback Carl. Nice one (y)

Back