Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Product Copyright in Advertising

Discussion in 'Logo Design & Brand Identity Forum:' started by Outside the Box, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Outside the Box

Outside the Box Junior Member

Hi All,

I have a quick question regarding copyright.

I am producing a series of web adverts for a company who are giving away an iPod touch. Is it ok to use an image of an iPod Touch in the advert itself, also in one of the ads it is a series of frames that look like they are on an iPod Touch screen, do you know if this is going to be ok?

Thank you.

2. blueocto

blueocto Senior Member

Not sure if that helps?

3. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Might be worth a quick email to the people themselves just to check.

4. I think you need to be quite careful here - I would recommend getting in touch with Apple's marketing people and also ensuring that any photography that you purchase has the correct licencing and property releases. Without both, either Apple or the photographer or the photo agency would have a solid case to sue and it potentially could cost thousands. Big business is clamping down at the moment on photo usage - probably the highest profile case is by agency Getty and a removal company

5. Russell

Russell Member

I would say it is the clients responsibility to clear this. I've done similar jobs in the past and as long as you make it clear (I have a section in my T&Cs for this) that the client is responsible for all copyright/ image clearances, I'd just do it. Inform them of what you've found in relation to the imagery and let them make the call.

6. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Good plan.