Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem with transparent backgrounds

Discussion in 'Logo Design & Brand Identity Forum:' started by BenJonesDesign, Jan 24, 2011.

1. BenJonesDesign

BenJonesDesign Active Member

Strange problem that only just seemed to have started. Working on a project in illustrator, placed a png on the page, everything looks fine. When I go to print it seems to have an opaque background (lighter colour of the actual background). Anybody know of this one?
  2. bigdave

bigdave Moderator Staff Member

Not had that before but have you tried using a tiff with the transparency saved insted of the png?

On a side note, wouldn't it be better to be placing images into an indesign file rather than illustrator?
  3. Becky

Becky Member

You want to avoid PNG for print work anyhow. Can't guarantee that the printer's RIP/printer will process it properly. A problem we often have with people sending crumby web png's on their adverts then wondering why the RIP prints a grey background

Stick to TIFFs, and as bigdave said, why not InDesign (although there's not a whole lot wrong with using Illustrator if you're happier with it).
  4. rach27

rach27 Member

I agree with Becky. Stick with TIFFs for print work. PNG files should really by used for online stuff.
  5. BenJonesDesign

BenJonesDesign Active Member

thanks for that guys, I will keep it in mind for future work :)
  6. richard.berry58

richard.berry58 New Member

Try placing the image instead of copying it or exporting it.