Printing air fresheners?

Hopkins96

Hi,
I've been looking at making my own car air fresheners and I've found some thick paper that is 480gsm. I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge of printing onto this type of paper or how to print onto it?

I've seen online that it can be done by sublimation printing using a heat press to press the image onto the paper? Is this the correct way?

Any information would be really helpful
Thanks Michael

Screen printing or flexo printing would be best bet. You could go dye-sub it would depend on what you want.

Not sure if traditional litho machines would take 480gsm, I've definitely seen 400gsm done litho.

Have you contacted any printing companies in your area? Likely that if they can do it they will give you guidance, and if they can't they could possibly tell you who can.

Hi mate, yes I have spoke to a couple however none of them really print over 300! I will keep trying them as it seems like the best bet.
Is there any way of doing them at home without going to a shop?
Thanks

Screen printing or flexo printing would be best bet. You could go dye-sub it would depend on what you want.

Not sure if traditional litho machines would take 480gsm, I've definitely seen 400gsm done litho.

Have you contacted any printing companies in your area? Likely that if they can do it they will give you guidance, and if they can't they could possibly tell you who can.

I wouldn't imagine there is. You could get labels and print on those - then cut to shape. And stick them on your substrate.

The images are printed (reversed) on to a dye sub transfer paper.

This it then placed over the pre punched template which usually has a special coating on it.
The heat press transfers the image over and fixes it.

It's pretty much the same process with mugs and stuff.

Very similar to the transfer paper for making t-shirts that you can buy for your home printer.

That looks like Dye Sublimation to me - you can buy a home Dye Sublimation printer - special inks for it and paper.

Something like these https://www.signwarehouse.com/c/dye-sublimation-heat-transfer-printing

Remember to flip your image before printing, as when you transfer it will transfer reversed.

That heat press in the video is industrial standard - but you don't need to buy one - if you have an iron you can set it to the highest setting, insert a sheet of brown paper between the iron and the transfer paper - with the transfer paper directly on your substrate.

Back