Printed Portfolios

A0.

Hi

I would be interested to hear people's thoughts on printed portfolios.

Do you think they are used as much now or is a link to a website mostly used?

There are lots of great designs out there from interesting binding to pull out envelopes to unwrapping. Do you think the extra expense achieves a better result in gaining work?

Are people in favour of a short key description or a more detailed outline of the project, with details of any difficulties/solutions?

Should the language used be simple business or more design orientated?

Would you tailor a printed portfolio to the client/job, including language? Could get expensive for printing and binding a quantity of 1 especially if a very custom design.

Thanks

scotty

Staff member
Can't say that I've used or needed one in about fifteen years.

Everyone has internet and can access my portfolio and I can use my MacBook to put work in front of people if needed.

I guess a lot depends on what you do really.
Almost all my work is digital anyway.
I guess if you mainly work in print and packaging then a physical portfolio is a must.

Levi

Staff member
Unless requested by the client/project I wouldn't be wasting paper on anything in this day and age. It's created digitally so I usually supply in a digital format too, hell even invoices are mainly sent digitally these days too.

If anyone asks why I just say I try to be as 'eco friendly' as I possible within the limitations of the work that I do... and yes I do have solar panels :).

A0.

Can't say that I've used or needed one in about fifteen years.

Everyone has internet and can access my portfolio and I can use my MacBook to put work in front of people if needed.

I guess a lot depends on what you do really.
Almost all my work is digital anyway.
I guess if you mainly work in print and packaging then a physical portfolio is a must.
Thank You

A0.

Unless requested by the client/project I wouldn't be wasting paper on anything in this day and age. It's created digitally so I usually supply in a digital format too, hell even invoices are mainly sent digitally these days too.

If anyone asks why I just say I try to be as 'eco friendly' as I possible within the limitations of the work that I do... and yes I do have solar panels :).
Thank You

RebrandEverything

I'd say it depends on the job you're going for. If the role involves design for print it would probably help to show that you're conscious of how a nicely printed job feels, i.e Paper weights, colour, finish, etc etc. It can be a more memorable experience if you're willing to put the effort into making it feel really special.