Pricing: Private or Public?

VertigoSFX

I've always wondered about this question for quite awhile. Many sites don't disclose their prices until you contact them with a form filled out saying you're interested...which makes perfect sense because you don't want competitors to outbid you and steal a job.

On the other hand, I have seen companies that do disclose their prices on their website for everyone to see which also has its advantages because it gives a possible client and up and front price to where they won't ever contact you unless they really are pretty certain they'll be using you since they've seen your portfolio and what you do and they know the prices are in their budget.

Then there is also the third factor that most prices vary depending on whether you provide packaged site/branding deals or you have pricing for individual items such as logo design, web design, SEO etc etc.

There are many factors that may prevent you from disclosing your prices because it does get quite complicated depending on how the pricing works but do you guys think it is better to disclose prices on your website or give a price after a client has submitted a questionnaire or a contact form?

I believe working within a clients budget and by claiming something like 'a professionally designed site starting from just £200' should be enough to get their interest to contact you.

The real pricing of a site should come from understanding the clients needs and discussing their budget. I have had clients come to me thinking they might spend £200 and after a full and frank discussion about their business and what we could do for them we have talked them up to spending £2000 for a site that gets results.

Other times a client has come in with a fixed budget of £1000. The best approach here has been to come up with a proposal for around £800 but also to talk about what an additional £200 or £500 could add to the site in the future and list these as options for the future. By having the honesty to build a site for £800 the client soon comes back for those additions.

Can I just point out that although this post might read as 'how to upsell' that is not really what we do. We are more than happy to work to the clients budget but what we don't do is give away the extras for free just because that budget is low.

Hurray! I got a reply! Thanks gavin, I like your answer a lot, basically answers my question completely. I am definitely going to go this route as it makes a lot of sense :) Thanks!

I think it depends on your target market, and the way you operate.

Smaller clients will be on a tight budget, and are unlikely to waste your time unless they know they can afford you. Larger clients are more likely interested in the quality of your offerings, and will worry about cost when it comes to choosing the company they like best.

It also depends on what you offer. If you provide a product that takes up a fixed amount of resources (e.g. time), it makes sense to put a standard cost on it.

Finally, the cost should vary on the value of your work to the client. Nobody would expect you to charge the same to rebrand a local gym as you would a blue-chip company.

Back