Possible first paying client

I agree and I would say take a deposit for an amount similar to the cost of printing at the beginning, if they ask why so much be honest as it is a high risk on that kind of outlay.

Hey all,

I went to see the guy about this leaflet that he wanted done and I got what he wanted etc and we were both happy and I said I would do a couple of sketches for him, then if he was happy I would give him a quote etc. So I did that and went back to him with the sketches and quote and he like one of the designs and he was happy with the price of the quote. So then I said to him I take a 25% deposit then I can get on and do the design on the computer and give him a proof. He wasnt happy with that. He wanted me to do the design first and if he was happy with it then he would give me the deposit. I typed up some terms before I went to see him and said I take a deposit before I do any work. I had already spent 30 mins or so sketching ideas for him. I left him with the quotes and the terms and havent heard back from him (i didnt leave the designs though).

Was I right to say no to doing any work before I got the deposit?

Hi Tom, I think you were right.. the possibility of him just running off and not paying is too great in this day and age.. a deposit is a normal business practice.. If in doubt give him a call and ask him if he has agreed to the terms and the deposit :)

Back