Portfolio I threw together

gcol90

Hey!

I posted all this in the introduction thread, but I dunno whether I was meant to... hence me redoing it here... albeit a condensed version.

Anyway, am an advertising student, second year. Been doing graphic stuff in Photoshop since about 2006/2007. Before then it was PaintShop Pro and The Gimp... so I've been doing this sort of stuff since about 2001. Am 21 now. Always enjoyed it, but never really thought of doing it as a job. Anyway, after doing two years of computing and web, and realising it wasn't for me, so I changed to advertising this year, jumping in at year 2. I figured I could use my knowledge etc. of PS in there. Although am really enjoying advertising, I'd like to down a more creative route, such as graphic design. I've only got my coursework and a logo I did for a student union in my 'portfolio', but am wondering what you think, and whether you think I should seriously consider getting down the graphic design route. My portfolio at the moment is a bit poo, cuz I've only just started setting it up, and am using CarbonMade... plus the fact it's coursework and a lot of the stuff I did the night before, lol.

Various posters and logos : Stuff

So yeah, what do you think? Think I could go anywhere with it?

I'm unfamiliar with Illustrator at the moment, and although I have it, I've never really gotten into it like I have with PS, but I really do want to get into vector graphics.

So yeah, thanks.

I thought the Doritos one was a photoshop version of an elder scrolls game at first! The mummies one is excellent though.

Thanks for your replies.

Yeah, I probably should have explained the Doritos one a bit more lol. We had to come up with a viral ad campaign, and me and the group I was working with came up with the idea of an end of the world 2012 type scenario, where ads in the form of fake news reports would say that a meteorite, or 'Doretorite' was heading for earth, sending the world into a state of panic.... and in the end all it did was crash and send Doritos everywhere. So that poster I did was just to give the impression of the an end of the world scenario. Suppose I could just redo it into an Elder Scrolls poster, though haha.

But thanks for the feedback, I do appreciate it!

gcol90 said:
I'm unfamiliar with Illustrator at the moment, and although I have it, I've never really gotten into it like I have with PS, but I really do want to get into vector graphics.

Lynda.com offer fantastic tutorials on Illustrator, with Essentials, Beginner, Advanced and Master, I myself am self-taught with these tutorials and good ole Google and feel very very comfortable in it, In fact I really prefer it over PS for a majority of my design needs.
(inb4h8 both programs offer excellent tools & services, you just need to be aware of the strengths and weaknesses of them, and also what you feel comfortable in, but the more you learn and develop, you will realise this)

I thought the 'Blast from the past' was fun :)

Great portfolio over all.. but the one thing I will say.. and this might just be my rather perverted mind but there is something rather.. phallic about the sarcophagus haha.. its all I can see now -.-

Back