Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portfolio help. Let me know what you think people!!

Discussion in 'Website Design Critique:' started by jakelewis1988, Jan 24, 2011.

1. jakelewis1988

jakelewis1988 Junior Member

Hi guys i have just come out of uni and am looking for freelance work as a web designer, can you help me out on the overall design of my site. let me know what you think and anyway that i could improve it.

Jake Lewis - Web Designer

Thanks

2. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Welcome and good luck!

3. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

An intro might have been better before asking for help but my opinion is below none the less :)

If I'm honest it's boring, it doesn't really show any skills that you have. If you look at sites that belong to web designers they show their skills to the fullest, not a site that some one could do pretty easily.

There's also an issue with the bottom in firefox, I can scroll past the grey footer and see the blue background again.

4. jakelewis1988

ok, thank you i will add an introduction now. I wanted a very simple site, but i will try to spice it up a little.

5. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

To quote what I said in your intro thread:

6. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

you can do simple but at the minute it's neither simple or showing off your skills.

Simple is something like Harry's (link) which doesn't have a lot of flashy bits or colour but because of that it works.

Yours at the minute looks like doesn't look simple, it looks like you've tried to inject some style but ended up making it look boring.

7. jakelewis1988

Ok I have updated it, mainly the bg colours and the nav a little, let me know if this is better? its still a bit all over the place!! not sure where to put the main h1 tag at the top.

8. HippySunshine

HippySunshine Senior Member

I don't like it, im sorry.
    It's not simple and I feel that everything is BIG and overly SPACIOUS.

It's work in progress though so keep going and trying out new ideas... you'll get there.

9. Romack

Romack Senior Member

I agree with the Hippy, you just need a bit of experience and confidence i guess.

10. wac

wac Senior Member

I'm not sure about your portfolio but your Latin is second to none!

11. Alex L

Alex L Senior Member

Recent studies* suggest 90% of people looking to hire a web designer consider Latin to be like a second language ;)

*My sources never lie...

EDIT: Thought I'd attach this too: http://i53.tinypic.com/2zxw9zn.jpg

12. Nick M

Nick M Junior Member

Erm... I like the logo :)

I would do a bit more research and find a site that you like, look at the spacing and typography and learn from it. Decide on an effective palette - there are plenty of sites to help you out.

As is previously stated - you want to showcase your skills as a designer, currently your site does not do that very successfully.