Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pitching Advice?

Discussion in 'Website Design Forum:' started by Rj-design, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Rj-design

Rj-design New Member

Hey Guys,

Could do with a bit of advice. I work as a freelance designer for a small digital marketing agency. I put together a landing page for a client who contacted me away from the company about their site.

They want to improve user functionality and user journey, a good friend of mine works in that sector so I proposed working with him to really get the best visually and functionally. They agreed but asked for a presentation on all our suggested improvements.

Obviously pitching is a standard for our line of work, but web design is something I lack experience in as the majority of my time is spent on print and landing page visuals. I'm worried once they take the points they hand them over to a developer to undercut the price. Should I charge for the ideas?

Thanks

2. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't give away everything until you have the job. I'd identify problem areas, highlight the negative results from these areas, but I would only suggest some topline ideas for how to solve it. For example a section with additional content off-screen with an unclear navigation would result in users missing that content. Possible options are to make the navigation and fact that there is content off-screen clearer, re-design the section so the content is no longer off-screen, or possibly even just remove that content completely.

UX isn't a simple "change this to this" process, it requires a lot of testing re-testing to optimise. Often you don't know if something will even work until you've A/B tested it. One idea might turn out to be worse than what they originally had when a real user gets their hands on it. Therefore I wouldn't suggest explicit changes in the presentation because you probably don't know if those are the best options at this stage. I'd suggest some ways you can improve these areas but I wouldn't give them anything too solid until they've agreed to hire you.

Stationery Direct likes this.