Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photo Enlargements - Warping?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Squiddy, Nov 14, 2011.

  1. Squiddy

    Squiddy Guest

    I recently sold a photographic enlargement to a friend who I visited the other day and noticed it hanging in their kitchen - the light was on.

    Right, now I know I am quite a fussy person, but, what I saw was some kind of warped effect which caught the light and reflected it at different angles. I've just checked my others and they all appear to be the same. It's hard to describe it really, as I said it looks warped but in the sense that there's a kind of wavy effect on different areas of the photo.

    It just makes it look horrible and cheap, but I never noticed it before. Am I being too fussy with this...? I bought the prints from Jessops and they've used Kodak Professional Endura paper.

    Any advice would be really appreciated.
  2. Levi

    Levi Moderator Staff Member

    cheap paper, too much ink, poorly mounted, kept in direct sunlight... you name it there are plenty of causes for what you're describing
  3. Squiddy

    Squiddy Guest

    Yeah I did some research into it and I think it's mostly because of the change in air humidity. Now that it's a bit colder the heating has been put on a timer and I'm pretty sure that's what caused it, now that I think back about when I last saw them in perfect condition, it does seem to fit my theory.

    I've got a second set that's been kept in the tube and they're all fine so in future I'll just not frame them until I'm actually going to sell them.
  4. Levi

    Levi Moderator Staff Member

    All you need better frames, the ones you have are not applying enough pressure onto the photo to stop them warping.
  5. Squiddy

    Squiddy Guest

    My aim was to be able to sell it at a low enough price, whilst still making some decent profit, to be able to target a larger market.

    I might contact the seller and ask if there is anything he can do with the product to have it apply more pressure to stop it warping - you're right, as the warped sections stop dead where the frame is covering the photo. Some thicker backing paper/card would help.

    Thanks for your help :)
  6. Tom Sound

    Tom Sound Active Member

    Best thing to do is get them mounted, or get a can of spray mount and some board from an art shop and do it yourself, just some thin card. This will stop the warping and a curling print from having contact with the glass too.
  7. a decent framer will suggest a few things - all depends really what you think you might do with the print in the future;

    1 - they will flatten it under weights for a while
    2 - mount it behind card - the print is just attached with small tape to card and held in place via pressure with the frame
    3 - offer to 'bond it' to the mounting card - or as suggested above on to thin card

    obviously if it is vaulable, an investment print, then don't bond to card or mounting board - as it will devalue the print completely

    as others have said, better frames and using a professional framers will solve most issues
  8. Squiddy

    Squiddy Guest

    Thanks, I have decided to abandon any plans to sell my photography for the moment. But when I do start again I will keep all this information in mind! Thanks.

Share This Page