Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Penguin causes controversy with creepy ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’ book cover

Discussion in 'Graphic Design Forum:' started by Paul Murray, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

2. Wardy

Wardy Active Member

Don't like that at all, it's a bit spooky. It reminds me of an old Anthony Hopkins film where his dummy comes to life!
  3. hankscorpio

hankscorpio Moderator Staff Member

I think this is a new marketing ploy - make it controversial and it will more free coverage than you could imagine, which will translate into sales.

They don't even need to take out an advert on the book now - people will know it and share it through social media.

Job done.
  4. Ah you beat me to it hank, just saw this pop up on my Google Plus feed. It seems to be causing a bit of a stir and I can see why!

I much prefer the original Roald Dahl style of artwork... charcover7.jpg
  5. andybdesign

andybdesign Active Member

I'm going to go against the flow here and say I quite like it.

It feels like an image that has some depth. A snapshot from the story. It makes you study it. It's not just a pretty cover. It has more meaning to it than just that.

And I do think it's for their adult range of modern classics. Not sure it's best suited for the younger kids.

I always enjoy seeing a new take on something though. I'd much rather see something new that doesn't quite hit the mark than something safe and adequate.
  6. Nativeyouth

Nativeyouth New Member

Admittedly the photography itself is really good all round, but i see no relevance to the story and that for me is one of the key selling points of a cover?
  7. @GCarlD

@GCarlD Well-Known Member

I find the artificial shadow in the background the most disturbing and concerning.
  8. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

It gets creepier when you view the whole image...