Penguin 2.0

Russell

Anybody else concerned about the shake up in page rank now Penguin 2.0 seems to have gone live? Doing my usual ranking check this morning; my key SERPs have been level or slightly improving over the last six months but all of a sudden, wham!
For example Rankings of 8 down to 32, 6 down to 27, 22 down to 105!
All my SEO planning is fairly standard white hat stuff so rather gutted to be hit so hard. Hoping it will settle down a bit but if anyone comes across any good articles on the subject please post.

Thanks for the update. I'll be looking into all this shortly, when I launch my new site! The checklist made for an interesting read, it's a little disappointing to know that a lot of it just taking a stab in the dark and hoping though!

so not really that much different to before, it's just based more around natural speech (you can tell this is the direction google is going from google now) rather than purely inserting 'keywords' etc.
And some of the suggestions make sense too... things like links within page text. It makes more sense for you to put the hyperlink on the keyword than on 'click here'.
I do disagree about the alt text on images though, sometimes it's better to not have the alt text due to the way screen readers work.... Jaz did a HUGE post on this because we can be liable for not catering for disabled users

I remember that post. Although as much as web accessibility is great, most ignore it knowing that the chances of getting prosecuted are so minimal.
We should have more discussions on SEO, I don't know a whole lot about it though to be honest with you!

Sean Lee-Amies said:
We should have more discussions on SEO, I don't know a whole lot about it though to be honest with you!
thats why people get paid the big bucks for seo lol

It is a can of worms for sure, but definitely something worth devoting time to. I employed a SEO company a while back and was a bit complacent with it to be honest. Whilst they are a reputable (quite large) UK company looking into it in more detail the 'press releases' that they did were pretty poor quality and key word stuffed. At the time it worked, I got quickly up the rankings and so didn't check up on them. Since Penguin I've dropped as I believe (no way to tell for certain) these links have been down graded.
I'd be extremely wary of employing anyone to do any link building SEO again without a full breakdown of what and where they are doing it, as it can easily do more harm than good these days.
I suppose in that sense the algorithm changes are doing what they intended; rewarding user not bot focused content, however there is still a lot of very poor quality, rarely updated sites that massively out rank mine which irks. If you are interested in looking at your own SEO profile (and seeing a limited amount of data on your direct competitors) it's worth signing up for a free https://www.majesticseo.com account.

Sean Lee-Amies said:
Thanks for the update. I'll be looking into all this shortly, when I launch my new site! The checklist made for an interesting read, it's a little disappointing to know that a lot of it just taking a stab in the dark and hoping though!
Forgot to say if you're new site is going to be Wordpress make sure you install the Yoast SEO plug in, it's really good and free.

RussellHall said:
I suppose in that sense the algorithm changes are doing what they intended; rewarding user not bot focused content, however there is still a lot of very poor quality, rarely updated sites that massively out rank mine which irks. If you are interested in looking at your own SEO profile (and seeing a limited amount of data on your direct competitors) it's worth signing up for a free https://www.majesticseo.com account.
Don't forget there is a 'ranking' (there is a term but I can't remember it) which comes from the age of the domain/site.

Thanksgiving for update news. Heard about penguine 2. But now clear what it is, how it works. Please post a example it will be more helpful and useful.

Back