Pantone

mhossey

I am still fairly new to designing for actual clients. Shirts, business cards, etc...
One thing I am lacking on is an understanding of how to correctly use the pantone color books. I will give a couple of scenarios. In reply to to this post feel free to suggest good reads that have helped you out.
1) I am designing a logo (this is actually a real scenario) for a church. This being one of my first major projects I want to make sure I pick the correct colorbooks to use. I notice that there are many pantone books to choose from, matte, coated, solid to process, solid coated. I know that some of these are referring to the type of finish I will be having the artwork printed on such as coated being a gloss finish....and so on. But what about some of the other options like "solid to process" and "pastel coated"?
2) Which pantone book do I use for the final logo colors, is there one overall book that is best to use? I'm just really confused as how to go about this....insight would be very helpful.
3) what about printing? If I pick CMYK colors and then convert them to spot colors, is this the same thing as Pantone colors? If so...whats the difference between calling it CMYK and Pantone if it is the exact same color?

I am reading in my spare time about these, but would also like advice from more experienced designers. Again, if you recommend any good reads that would be great as well.

M

this should pretty much explain it all - http://www.colorguides.net/faq.html
However as I understand it...
1) solid to process basically means pantone ink to cmyk print
pastel - part of their 'solid colours' but in their own number range
coated, matte, uncoated - represent paper finishes, glossy, matte, unfinished - each paper takes the ink differently so the pantone ink is formulated accordingly
2) not a clue on this one, never actually got round to buying a pantone book, someone else will answer that though I would expect
3) spot colours are another term for the 'pure colour' pantone inks, cmyk are called processed ink (ie it's a mixture of other colours). Pantone does the 'colour bridge' (formally solid to process guide) to give you the codes for going one way to the other

Back