Pantone Money Grabbing....

Levi

Staff member
Pantone/Adobe are now forcing a subscription service on designers who use their colours in photoshop etc.... seriously are their products not expensive enough already....

The joys of what are essentially monopolies.

If you end up seeing black images where you've used pantone colours (even 20 years ago), that's because of this new subscription requirement, yes that's right even old work is going to be affected.....

Don't worry it's only going to be $21 (haven't found the uk price yet) a MONTH....

It's been a long time coming - Pantone changed the license and Adobe have to roll with it.

It's €90 a year for me.

You should be able to use Pantones from old files.
Adobe Bridge can help find swatches in different files.

For €90 a year it's not bad. Adobe hadn't got an updated of Pantone libraries in years.

Pass it on to end customer I guess.
For hobbyists - I reckon Pantone is dead for them.

AFAIK Affinity still has the full suite.

You could probably pull the Swatch libraries from Previous versions of Adobe installations.

It's been a long time coming - Pantone changed the license and Adobe have to roll with it.

It's €90 a year for me.

You should be able to use Pantones from old files.
Adobe Bridge can help find swatches in different files.

For €90 a year it's not bad. Adobe hadn't got an updated of Pantone libraries in years.

Pass it on to end customer I guess.
For hobbyists - I reckon Pantone is dead for them.

AFAIK Affinity still has the full suite.

You could probably pull the Swatch libraries from Previous versions of Adobe installations.
This is the thing, apparently all old pantone colours are being removed and they're basically showing as black in files unless you pay up...

I haven't done enough with pantone to notice but it still just feels like a money grab even at £90 a year (seems to be UK price from your link)... but then I HATE subscription software because it will just stop working if you don't pay for it and you literally have no control over pricing.... if you need it you have to pay whatever they charge basically.

Luckily I'm using affinity more these days because it fits my needs but being a designer and dealing with the crap we're forced to accept really is depressing sometimes....

Everything is going subscription these days.
I pay €178 a month for Sky including broadband, sports (all sports channels), movies, on demand, (includes netflix/paramount/peacock etc.)

I have Prime / Disney on yearly subscriptions

Then a new one showed up Lionsgate+ which is €8 a month.

I wanted to watch a boxing match on Saturday and the match wasn't on Sky Sports it was on DAZN - so I had to download and subscribe to that APP on the TV ...

----------

Hopefully Pantone backtrack.
Or you can include it in your Adobe Subscription.

-----

I'm not 100% sure how it's working - but ther'es a good read here.

Everything is going subscription..... it's a PITA

Everything is going subscription these days.
I pay €178 a month for Sky including broadband, sports (all sports channels), movies, on demand, (includes netflix/paramount/peacock etc.)

I have Prime / Disney on yearly subscriptions

Then a new one showed up Lionsgate+ which is €8 a month.

I wanted to watch a boxing match on Saturday and the match wasn't on Sky Sports it was on DAZN - so I had to download and subscribe to that APP on the TV ...

----------

Hopefully Pantone backtrack.
Or you can include it in your Adobe Subscription.

-----

I'm not 100% sure how it's working - but ther'es a good read here.

Everything is going subscription..... it's a PITA
Don't even get me started on streaming services.... the early days of small number of services covering everything is gone and now they're all in it for a piece of the pie at the expense of the consumer... they'll be moaning about piracy again soon due to their stupidity of multiple services, sometimes from the same damn base company too.... not to mention 'forced' bundles which mean I end up paying for stuff I'm never going to watch....

I don't mind monthly bills (although I do think some things are overpriced) on things where you basically know you need to have them but I really hate the loss of access of to 'previously paid for' things if you get me, that annoys me.

Managing subscriptions is going to require it's own software at this rate... it's payment will of course be subscription based.... I kid but honestly I can see it coming.

Yeh - I think Pantone are shooting themselves in the testicles here but hey.

Would be nice if that wasn't in indd file format... affinity doesn't open it but then I believe affinity isn't affected anyway. Funny thing is I can get another program to convert indd to affinity but it costs roughly 3x the price of affinity....

And yeah, I'd say most of us are seeing this negatively so... mind you I doubt pantone and adobe will care, they know they've got us by the testicles already.

Affinity will open idml files.

Give me a shout if you need a conversion
Thanks, I'm not too concerned though to be honest, luckily I don't need to use pantone that often with my work .... watch me get a load of work that now requires it lol

Back