Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Packaging/Foiling

Discussion in 'Tenders & Services Required Forum:' started by Offelias, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Offelias

Offelias Member

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right forum but...

What I'm after is a simple (but custom) packaging printed, with foils.

I have found companies that print packaging, but I'm only after a very very small sample quantity. Perhaps 5 or so.

Does anyone have any links to companies that could do this that is also relatively cheap?

Thanks guys
    xx

2. bigdave

bigdave Moderator Staff Member

Right, Seems as no one's commented I though I'd offer a few pearls of wisdom.... Short run hot foiling isnt cheap due to the processes envolved. A custom aluminium printing plate has to be created which can cost £50+ alone. Then theres the setup time envolved which (depending on the complexity of the job) can run into hours. On top of this, its just not cost effective to set up a run of less that a few thousand on a small electric press so the job would have to be done on a manual press which again is more expensive.

Basicly, If you can find a company with a Polydiam or similar who will do a small run then great BUT its not a cost effective way of printing!

3. DougBarned

DougBarned Member

Might be easier and better for you to run a set of 10 off on a good laser printer at a copy shop and create the mock-ups yourself with tin foil.

I'm guessing this is an educational project of some kind or a pitch rather than a commercial run.

/Doug

4. Offelias

Offelias Member

Yup, it was both for my education project and a freelance job.

I had already got the job so it meant that I could spend all my time on the freelance project. I had permission from the client to use their brief though, and it works as great advertising for him when there will be a lot of people checking out the end of year exhibition. I did know the client indirectly so I think that helped.

The college usually wants us to go overboard and wacky but I stuck to my guns on this one.

I want to be seen as a professional and commercial graphic designer and the fact that I was also representing a company meant that I couldn't over-do it.

In the end, I used my inkjet printer on photopaper - backed onto cereal box cardboard to create mock-ups of promotional items such as luxury packaging, the standard packaging, freebie samples etc.
    They turned out really well - and I learnt how to be very accurate with a scalpel :)
    When there's a will there's a way :)