Not using work for your portfolio but getting it?

scotty

Ultimate Member
I know that this has come up before about using work you've done as an in-houser in your portfolio and the ethics and legalities of it but...

this is more about the technical side of getting images out when their systems are monitored.

A friend has been working for an agency and it's been their first job since Uni but she's starting to look for a new job.
She has done some great work and want to show it as part of her folio for use in interview but is a bit worried about how to get it.
Apparently her employers have a system that detects if you insert a memory stick or anything like that and e-mails are monitored too.
They're only jpeg's and not the original files or anything.

Is there a way that she can get some of her work without jeopardising her job?

Maybe a file transfer like WeTransfer, DropSend or DropBox?
Or have an image account like PhotoBucket or Flickr set to private?

She's even thought about printing out hi-res images and scanning them. o_O

Any advice or ideas welcome.

Burn a disc? Bluetooth it (might take a while?)

Dropbox or similar would be preferred but if the internet usage is monitored it will draw a red flag...

Or open up a Private Browsing Window - log into their own GMAIL or YAHOO account (or if they have another email) and send them to herself.

Or ask her employers if she can add some of her work in her portfolio???...

(I know I am probably missing something here).

Not Missing anything.

I'm not sure of all the details but I think it's a bit complicated to plain ask.
It's more to do with fashion than our industry and has a bit of a "back bitey" hierarchy.

I think it's the same old same.

Employee wants to use some work (done in house) for folio which also represents their entire professional experience to date.

1. Asking them may alert them that they're looking for another job?
Plus, I'm not sure of policy here for using work for your folio.

2. Try to compile some examples of work without asking but avoid risking being found out.

something like airdroid (or iOS alternative) maybe... basically it will work over wifi and basically allows you to access your phone via a web browser so if she can get her phone onto the network it might be an option. It then can have files drag and dropped onto the phone.

I'd also check her contract, it could state work is under nda so she can't show it.... legal ramifications etc and seeing as they're pretty locked down by the sounds of it it could mean they do have something like an nda in place.

I think the systems and protocol in place are there for bigger fish like stealing a future collections (talking out of the back of my neck here) but I think she's afraid of it flagging her and getting into trouble.
A bit like working in a bank and taking a pen home. ;)

I'm getting that the potential employers want to see some of the development as it's pretty important like how she's dropped say a repeat pattern onto a CAD of a garment. Shit like that.

I know the best solution would be to ask but I don't think it's as easy as that.

I'll tell her to check her contract though as like an NDA, it's the bottom line really.

Back