Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next/Previous Anchor Links

Discussion in 'Website Coding & Programming Forum:' started by Levi, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

I know I can just href="#div-id" to link to 'jump' to the relevant div but I can't seem to find a way to do the next/previous anchor links.... is there a simple way I just can't find or do I need to look into a javascript alternative?

2. <a href="javascript: history.go(-1)">Back</a> works well to go back.

3. Not entirely sure what you mean by "a way to do the next/previous anchor links" can you clarify? I'm still a bit ill which is probably why I'm getting confused :p

4. Levi

.... 1 page of website, it has several subsections in div's and a button to link to each subsection. I can link the button to each subsection using 'href="#div-id' and the page will automatically jump/scroll to that section.
    Is there a way to do the same without javascript that will take you to the next div... ie you're on div 1 and you press a button to go to div 2, press it on div 2 you go to div 3 and so on.

doesn't that take you back to the previous page...like the browser back button

5. Yes to the previous page, isn't that what you wanted?

6. Levi

no... anchor links on the same page :)
    This might make it easier to explain :wacko:
    http://tempsite.imageresolutions.co.uk/services.html - ignore the design of the site, this isn't what it looks like any more :)
    I have sub menu and when you click the link it takes you to the relevant bit of the page. On this page when you scroll down I get a 'back to the top' link on the side. I'd like to change the back to the top to a previous and next link so it will go to the next 'sub menu' item

7. I now understand what you mean, although it did take me several attempts of re-reading your post to get there. but I don't really see the need for such a thing unless your page is going to contain literally hundreds of paragraphs, which it really shouldn't, because it's going to be faster for people to simply scroll up/down than to move the mouse and click on the next/previous button.
    Regardless of the practicality, CSS isn't really set up for this kind of thing. It would have to read the position of the page to determine which section a person was currently on and then set the correct page positions for the next/previous buttons. I'm pretty sure this can't be done with just CSS.

8. Levi

it wasn't that hard to understand was it... I tried to simplify it as much as possible lol
    Oh well, it was only an idea anyways and I'm not 100% sure I was going to use it, might as well use the time for something else :)