New Portfolio Site

thank you :)

i was up until 3am this morning (starting at 1am), and from 10am this morning to get this far. i'm knackered.

Not at 6th form then? Sounds like me, my attendance was about 60% because I used to do web work at home instead haha.

chrismitchell said:
ahhh come on Timbo .. Wordpress is bloody easy to use and set up.. you should run it with it :) trust me its a winner .. Monster :monster:

Agreeing with all the Wordpress love going round! It's made my life so much easier and the SEO benefits come in very handy too

lol nah i'm still in year 11, just got a teacher day today :)

i quit technology (5 hours a week) because it was "too much of a deadline especially after me being ill' " - i do web work then instead :p

@panixmedia: yeah, agreed, but i'm still learning how to code for it at the mo, so i can't do it right now :)

Hrmmm for me the next step would be to give the site some typo-graphic treatment, especially for the headings, additionally you may wish to consider looking at your padding values to give the text some breathing space, the text looks a little pend-in.

I also agree with Harry, site could do with something on the right to balance it a little more.

Also one final thing, you should try to make more use of the cascade in css, you could remove quite a few classes from your code.

I hope it helps.

I like the width, it's different. I quite like it left aligned, although I think you're trying to centre it when I resize to 1024x768.

Improvements:

Get everything in line. Check the pic below for what I mean.

2hxag0k.jpg

Also I'd look at redesigning the grid. Same format, but make everything have the same px gaps and give more padding in the headers like 'projects'.

Lastly, the colours don't work for me. Maybe it's because you haven't used kuler the colourscheme, but it might just be you need to add a subtle 1px border around most of the elements. At the moment it's just plain colour on a white background, give it a bit more contrast and a firm boundary with the 1px border.

I quite like it being left aligned though, as I said. Could be a winner.

thanks fred, i appreciate the time you put in to critique it too :)

i agree with the subtle border, and padding, etc, and i have no idea what kuler is :p

my favourite hex are:

- #fff000 -yellow
- #f06 -pink
- #00baff -blue

and have been trying to incorporate them somehow in previous designs...

i have an idea of what i'm gonna change with padding, the background etc, will update y'all later :)

Question:

Have run it through xHTML validator, and has two errors with a </font> tag as to when they're supposed to be ending... and i can't figure out where they should be...

HTML:
<table width="546" border="0" cellspacing="10" cellpadding="0"></table>
<table>
<tr>
<td align="center"><br />

<form method="post"><input name="op" type="hidden" value="send" />
<table>
<tr>
<td class="classb2">Name:</td>
<td><input name="name" type="text" size="30" maxlength="150" /></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="classb2">E-mail:</td>
<td><input name="email" type="text" size="30" maxlength="150" /></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="classb2">Budget:</td>
<td><input name="budget" type="text" size="30" maxlength="150" /></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="top" class="classb2">Message:</td>
<td>
<textarea name="message" cols="55" rows="12">
</textarea></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td></td>
<td><input name="submit" type="submit" value="Send Message" /></td>
</tr>
</table>
</form>
</td>
</tr>
</table>

and, can i go:

h1
h2
h2
h2

or does it have to be

h1
h2
h3
h4

??

btw if you cant access my site right now it's because 3iX are crap at keeping sites online.

Your code still need rewriting in lots of places... Don't use <font>, don't use align="", and you can go h1, h2, h2, h2.

where!? i can't find any font tags?! and i dunno where you referring to when you say it's all off, either...?

Valid, semantic and clean xHTML Strict:

HTML:
Removed to avoid confusion

A lot of your CSS won't work right away, but you'll thank me in the long run ;)

EDIT: There's still room for improvement in that, but it would involve completely starting again.

lol that's awesome, thank you!

will get onto changing it in the morning, am knackered!

You're welcome, and just so you know, you do not need to alter any of that code. It will do all you wanted it to and more without being touched, all you need to alter, ater, is the CSS.

Back