New Homepage Critique

The content boxes aren't nicely rounded and for regular content use Verdana, Arial, Tahoma (sans-serif). Generally, the site lacks visual interest, gradients and textures are an effective solution (e.g. on your background). It's a good base, you just need to work it out a little more.

Yea - the corners look as though you've stretched it in PS. You need to work out the size you need of the box before making it. Its a pain.

I disagree that it doesnt have any visual interest. Its quite good to look at.

A few things to tidy up:

- Padding (main box is all up too tight)
- Give your tabs more breathing space. Make them a little bit bigger and change the font to Helvetica or something
- As said dont use Georgia for body copy

I agree with jHouse. I like the look of the site and also disagree that it lacks visual interest, websites don't always need to have gradients, texture etc.

Pretty much just needs a little tidy up with the rounded corners, body copy, padding etc.

Good job man :)

I think it has good potential, Its the little touches that make such a huge difference - its a little flat but nothing some gradients couldnt fix - this is by NO MEANS perfect or anywhere close but just aimed to show you what a difference the touches make. Also try and keep a structure - everything should line up with something else or be symentrical.

CLICK FOR IMAGE

(I wont display in thread as its huge)
http://br3n.co.uk/files/changes.jpg

Floral bits are simply brushes

br3n said:
I think it has good potential, Its the little touches that make such a huge difference - its a little flat but nothing some gradients couldnt fix - this is by NO MEANS perfect or anywhere close but just aimed to show you what a difference the touches make. Also try and keep a structure - everything should line up with something else or be symentrical.

CLICK FOR IMAGE

(I wont display in thread as its huge)
http://br3n.co.uk/files/changes.jpg

Floral bits are simply brushes

Too much time on your hands mate! Ha! No - good job! :up:

Thanks alot the floral bits look good, I'll have another little mess around with it when I get the chance :up:

Thanks

Its true ive got the day off today and I like doing website concept work, Hopefully it serves its purpose and I look forward to seeing what you come up with chris!

I like it, but hate the logo. Why put .co.uk after it? Why the dark green? Personally I would look at creating an identity via the logo as the rest of the site looks great its just spoiled by such a basic logo.

It looks like a good starting point, but it really needs some polish.

The devil is in the detail. Subtle grads, shadows, lights. Re-do those content boxes (personally, see if you can lose them all together), and whack a grid over the top to make sure everything lines up and has consitent spacing.

The logo looks much weaker than the tagline because of the choice of colours & effect. And I'm not really a fan of those tabs, to be honest.

But as I said, as a concept it's a strong starting point. Give it another couple of hours, and I'm sure that you'll have something ready to show again.

Back