Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Homepage Critique

Discussion in 'Website Design Critique:' started by chris1791, Feb 5, 2009.

1. chris1791

chris1791 Member

2. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

The content boxes aren't nicely rounded and for regular content use Verdana, Arial, Tahoma (sans-serif). Generally, the site lacks visual interest, gradients and textures are an effective solution (e.g. on your background). It's a good base, you just need to work it out a little more.

3. jHouse

jHouse Senior Member

Yea - the corners look as though you've stretched it in PS. You need to work out the size you need of the box before making it. Its a pain.

I disagree that it doesnt have any visual interest. Its quite good to look at.

A few things to tidy up:

- Padding (main box is all up too tight)
    - Give your tabs more breathing space. Make them a little bit bigger and change the font to Helvetica or something
    - As said dont use Georgia for body copy

4. endofgeneric

endofgeneric Member

I agree with jHouse. I like the look of the site and also disagree that it lacks visual interest, websites don't always need to have gradients, texture etc.

Pretty much just needs a little tidy up with the rounded corners, body copy, padding etc.

Good job man :)

5. br3n

br3n Senior Member

I think it has good potential, Its the little touches that make such a huge difference - its a little flat but nothing some gradients couldnt fix - this is by NO MEANS perfect or anywhere close but just aimed to show you what a difference the touches make. Also try and keep a structure - everything should line up with something else or be symentrical.

CLICK FOR IMAGE

(I wont display in thread as its huge)
    http://br3n.co.uk/files/changes.jpg

Floral bits are simply brushes

6. jHouse

jHouse Senior Member

Too much time on your hands mate! Ha! No - good job! :up:

7. chris1791

chris1791 Member

Thanks alot the floral bits look good, I'll have another little mess around with it when I get the chance :up:

Thanks

8. br3n

br3n Senior Member

Its true ive got the day off today and I like doing website concept work, Hopefully it serves its purpose and I look forward to seeing what you come up with chris!

9. pjohnstone

pjohnstone Member

I like it, but hate the logo. Why put .co.uk after it? Why the dark green? Personally I would look at creating an identity via the logo as the rest of the site looks great its just spoiled by such a basic logo.

10. Scott

Scott Member

It looks like a good starting point, but it really needs some polish.

The devil is in the detail. Subtle grads, shadows, lights. Re-do those content boxes (personally, see if you can lose them all together), and whack a grid over the top to make sure everything lines up and has consitent spacing.

The logo looks much weaker than the tagline because of the choice of colours & effect. And I'm not really a fan of those tabs, to be honest.

But as I said, as a concept it's a strong starting point. Give it another couple of hours, and I'm sure that you'll have something ready to show again.