Need help with Wordpress

Aarlev

Ok I've been trying to get this to work for a couple of days now and I just can't get this damn thing to work and it's driving me nuts! I've trawled through tutorials and documentation with no luck. If there are anyone here with WP experience who could help me in the right direction I'd be eternally grateful. I've never fiddled with WP before so bare with me.

I want to have a custom static front page for my portfolio and another page for my blog. I've set up 2 pages. One called 'front' and one called 'blog'. In the "reading settings" I've selected "static page" and the corresponding pages for "front page" and "posts page".

I've got my custom XHTML page for my front page uploaded as "front.php" and selected that template to be used on the home page of my website and that works fine. My blog page is set to use "default template" but where does it reside?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks!

won't the default template be index.php??? normally templates would have index.php (default for posts) and page.php (for static pages)?

Thanks tbwcf,

I had a home.php and some other files i had been messing around with in my root so I deleted them and now it works.:clap:

However my blog is at myurl/?page_id=44. Is that just the way it is if I want to have everything in the root directory?

Hi Aarlev, no problem I'm glad It worked!

You can change the way the urls appear in wordpress (although I've not really done it myself) you'll find the options in the settings of WP's back end I think they call the urls "permlinks" there should be a few options on their display (as you mentioned above, then by date order like "08/july/fgjnfdjg") but you can also create custom urls ((although I can't advise on the best way as I've not done it)) I would imagine their is some way you can make the url display "yoururl.com/pagetitle" but have a play with wp's options in the meantime / there may even be more options off the self in the settings on the new version...

Aarlev said:
However my blog is at myurl/?page_id=44. Is that just the way it is if I want to have everything in the root directory?

That depends where you have installed wordpress... if you upload all the WP files and install in the root directory (public_html/ or whatever it may be for your host setup) then you can have WP in the root. (From the sounds of what ou've said with 'myurl.com/?page_id=44' you already have it in the root.)

As for the actual URLs themselves as tbwcf says you can adjust the permalinks options (in the WP settings section of the WP admin) to have search engine/user friendly URL's, so for example instead of the '?page_id=44' it would be the page name itself.

Just enter the permalinks options as you need them...

'myurl.com/category/post-name' would be '/%category%/%post-name%/'
or ''myurl.com/year/month/day/post-name' would be '%year%/%month%/%day%/%post-name%/'

There's more info on WP Permalinks here > Using Permalinks

HTH :)
Greg

Greg said:
That depends where you have installed wordpress... if you upload all the WP files and install in the root directory (public_html/ or whatever it may be for your host setup) then you can have WP in the root. (From the sounds of what ou've said with 'myurl.com/?page_id=44' you already have it in the root.)

As for the actual URLs themselves as tbwcf says you can adjust the permalinks options (in the WP settings section of the WP admin) to have search engine/user friendly URL's, so for example instead of the '?page_id=44' it would be the page name itself.

Just enter the permalinks options as you need them...

'myurl.com/category/post-name' would be '/%category%/%post-name%/'
or ''myurl.com/year/month/day/post-name' would be '%year%/%month%/%day%/%post-name%/'

There's more info on WP Permalinks here > Using Permalinks

HTH :)
Greg

Fantastic Greg! That was exactly what I needed!

Back