Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my website's total reversal

Discussion in 'Website Design Critique:' started by jmarcus, Dec 1, 2008.

1. jmarcus

jmarcus Junior Member

a couple weeks ago I posted my site on this forum, got some instructive advice, and worked around some issues. in the process, I decided to take a completely different approach - and hope that some could offer a comment between the two designs. for some reason, I just wasn't completely satisfied with the first site, and decided to take a minimalist approach to the new site - I wanted the site (which is a news portal for distance runners) to read almost like a newspaper - clear, clean, and simple. I hope I have achieved this, but I wanted to ask opinions of those who look at these designs on a regular basis (though I love my wife and my family - perhaps they're not the critics I need...) here are the two sites, the first being the old version and the second being the new version...

[The] Cassidy Feed

Thanks for having a look.
  2. berry

berry Active Member

I'm not sure that you've the second site works for me. I prefer the original, the bigger pixs gave size and scale and the site had a Top and starting point.
    The second has no focal masthead and it seems just rows and rows of text. I understand the minimalism that you maybe were trying to aim at but I think confronted by the wall to wall text, it's a turn off.
    The original site seemed to have a heiracy and design structure as well as subtle design features. I think you may have under/over/complicated things. Design is about communication and structure and engagement of the viewer. If it doesn't engage they will click off.
  3. retrowilly

retrowilly Junior Member

I actually prefer the second design, it seems a lot cleaner than the dark site and a bit easier on the eye. The main problem you have however is that there is too much content and not enough design elements to create a hierarchy - the mammoth lists of links are just to much to take in.

Take a look at newspaper sites and design elements they use. They generally have a lot of content that has to be organised into some visual hierachy - it's quite a challenge. Or, you could just cut the content down into more bite-sized chunks. Keep it Simple :)