My name or business name?

Yep Dave that's exactly what happens, I'm dreading having it as my name as my other has awful trouble. You want to see the mail we get, I didn't know there could be that many variations! I like Ridgeway Design and Print! I'm working on it now, well all night, I'm as popular as a pork chop in a synagogue in my house at the minute! lol

Interesting thread to read through, and a debate I've seen many times before.
The only advice I can give is this. Whatever name you decide to proceed with, make sure you like it. If you're going to spend time using it to sell your services you have to like it in the first place. It's a lot harder to sell something you don't have total confidence in.
Personally, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to the personal name/company name thing. It's a total judgement call. I decided to brand under my own name because I decided that was precisely what I was trying to promote and sell to people. I work alone and I make money by using MY skills and MY imagination. Branding my company with my name seemed like the most upfront, honest and sensible way to go. I also didn't want to make up a 'crazy' name that was purposely funny and quirky, but ultimately said nothing at all about the services I provide.

No matter what name you settle on, you can spin it any way you like through the magic of graphic design. You can give it any feel you like.

Oddly enough now most new company names are controlled by the domains that are available, so that has to be high on your list of checks if you find a name you like.

Hope this might help.

Aye that does thanks matey! Still at the drawing board on this one! Thank god for this forum it's a life saver I tell you!!! :icon_smile:

Nope Clarke, I'm not having a website at present, the area I live in is all about word of mouth. Most people don't advertise their services but they all have a roaring trade. Whitby is a funny place!

At £5.98 on 123 reg for 2 years, www.ridgewaycreative.co.uk is available.

I think lot of people on here will agree that purchasing that domain now will be a good investment and save a lot of stress further down the line.

If you never use fair enough, but the availability of certain domains makes them like gold dust!

Remember also that, just because your area is based upon word of mouth, having an online presence opens up the whole world as an area.

Most of the work I do isn't for clients in my local area.

Erm....haven't got website...or the budget for one at present that's why I was going to do it further down the line (when I have the cash!lol) Gone a name and da da da da da da da daaaaaa Weird Wilf Design and Print! Done some research and everyone I know of loves it! Would LOVE a website....when I can :( broke at minute!

Wilf? Whats the thinking behind that then?

And the £5.98 is all you have to pay now to secure whatever your chosen domain, trust me they go!

Last edited:
...Weird Wilf Design and Print! Done some research and everyone I know of loves it!

If the people who love it are the same type of people who will engage you as a designer on a professional basis then great: otherwise, this clearly falls into the 'divisive' category as I can very easily imagine various types of person/business who would dismiss you purely on account of the wacky name

Embarrassingly it's actually an old nickname....long story! But I was reminded of it and thought it was a good idea. Yep the people I'm talking about are in the media industry.

Back