My latest Showreel . :D

Welcome to our forum Chris :) A lot of your work is great, that Motion Capture looks like a lot of fun!

Which programmes do you have experience of using?
I did a lot of animation in Uni, but found it highly frustrating. Was also trying to render out on an old MacBook. Never the best of ideas!

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum! That's a really impressive looking showreel. Well done.

The only other feedback I can offer is length. I've been told in the past to cut a showreel to about 1 minute, in order to make it snappy. However, I'm not really sure what you could cut out.

Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff!

Haha yea to be honest i did my entire dissertation on motion capture so my knowledge on it is rather good however working with it at the moment is still quite experimental :D. Rendering is a nightmare haha. SImple as that. :/ The software I use most is Adobe After Effects, Photoshop , Illustrator, Premier Pro also final cut pro, and i dable very slightly in 3d programs but i find the extra dimension itches my head sometimes haha. Thanks for the kind feedback :D

Thanks Matt for the comments and feedback. I have had that advice also however like you said cutting out work is difficult. Down the line when I produce a higher quality of work I guess I can cut back on some of the "filler" if you will.

CANVisEffects said:
Thanks Matt for the comments and feedback. I have had that advice also however like you said cutting out work is difficult. Down the line when I produce a higher quality of work I guess I can cut back on some of the "filler" if you will.
You're welcome! Yeah, I bet that once you've got more work under your belt, it'll be easier to cut right down to the best stuff.

Hey, welcome to DF! That's some nice work there, I'd agree that perhaps it could be shortened a little bit though. I think the first animation of the man jumping into the air, for example, could be sped up quite a bit and in general, other things which aren't really conveying any kind of message should be quick enough that people don't start thinking about it too much.

Squiddy said:
Hey, welcome to DF! That's some nice work there, I'd agree that perhaps it could be shortened a little bit though. I think the first animation of the man jumping into the air, for example, could be sped up quite a bit and in general, other things which aren't really conveying any kind of message should be quick enough that people don't start thinking about it too much.
Thanks for the feedback.. I will be sure to create higher quality work to eliminate any filler I have in the reel.. its just difficult cutting out parts when im trying to show how broad my skill set
is .

Some wise peeps told me that showreels shouldn't last longer than 1 min. That apart, impressive reel :)

Yup. Short and sweet. There's certainly room to tighten this up without losing what's necessary.
There's no hard and fast rules about duration, you just have to be brutal with what you choose to include. It's all about quality, and diversity if you have it. If the very best work you have, without any repetition, amounts to two minutes, then that's fine — just look at The Mill's showreel, it's about four minutes but they can get away with it because it's all incredible work.
One other small point, if you have a title or section for SFX, then you should mix them into the music, or cut the music all together so your audience can hear it!

Back