My e-commerce website!

This is another example why the web design / development industry needs regulation and standards.

I wish you the best of luck James with your venture, but I wouldn't get your hopes up of attracting paying clients. I have a couple of questions.. When you design and developed that site what in your mind was the desired out come of it? did you have an objective? was it to secure paying clients? to say you had a go at web design ? or something else? the reason I ask is we see here on these forums hundreds of wanna be desiogners/web designers and yet very very few really understand the subject, yet alone enough then to run a sucessfull buisness promoting thier skill and understanding of the subject!

With the above in mind and deducting from your work that you have no formal training, or understanding of what your doing, that I would have strongly suggest re-thinking your strategy in requesting critiques from forums where its obvious from a little research into the past and present posts, that there are a lot of very skilled and dare i say professional outfits that have years upon years of expereince within the industry your promoting services within, and to do so, will always cause a backlash by those who have spent many years perfecting and developing a business in an extremely and cut throat industry.

I'm sure if you come back to these forums in 5 years time, and you have a sucessfull and profitable business based upon web design / design in general both myself and Berry will be the first to eat our hats :)

ps. its 01:30 and yet again i done another 20hr day. so excuse any spelling mistakes.

Berry & Sunburn (Ooo I 'live' in worcester <-- when not at uni) what do you suggest he uses as an alternative to gain experience, obviously how he is currently attempting it isn't working. If you forget the bad coding, and the websites design, what do you suggest he uses for a business plan.

Fair enough, maybe learning more about design & coding first, but then what?

You dont like the generic sample websites, you don't like the cheapness, you don't like the way he is ruining your industry with what seems like the future of the industry.

I ask because I too am interested in developing into a web designer of sorts, and wonder what the path to take is.

Mark

renniks said:
Berry & Sunburn (Ooo I 'live' in worcester <-- when not at uni) what do you suggest he uses as an alternative to gain experience, obviously how he is currently attempting it isn't working. If you forget the bad coding, and the websites design, what do you suggest he uses for a business plan.

Fair enough, maybe learning more about design & coding first, but then what?

You dont like the generic sample websites, you don't like the cheapness, you don't like the way he is ruining your industry with what seems like the future of the industry.

I ask because I too am interested in developing into a web designer of sorts, and wonder what the path to take is.

Mark

The path for any type of success has always been quite simple. Preparation

In this business first impression are vital, you only ever get one chance when you knock on the door. That is why so many are doomed to immediate failure because they have not done enough prepared to perfection. In essense we are asking clients to part with money to help them improve their business. If you can't get your own business looking right then why should they invest in you?

What that achieves is a plethora of wannabe cowboy designers that tar the industry.
Imagine you were a builder, could you really build that kitchen extension properly?

Learn, train, and understand and most off all be honest with other designers. Then they will help you. But don't try and sell yourself as something you are not. You are only fooling yourself.

Building a portfolio has always been easy, it amazes me how youngsters don't know how to do it. I will open a specific thread tommorow on how budding hopefuls can build a portfolio and how and make that first step.

There are no quick shortcuts in life, effort and application are needed. Even young wizzkid Chefs put the effort in. Design is not an easy way of making money, never has been. Software and Applications do not create a Designer. - I have a football in my garden, but that doesn't mean I will play for Liverpool.

Berry you're like Design Yoda :p

This is why Berry would be awesome to work for (all you designers out there) he's what you want in a boss for a Design house.. he'll kick your arse thoroughly if you do something wrong.. Berry reminds me of a Senior Designer I used to work for in Guildford.. :)

TheSiteSurgeon said:
lol just LOL!

Enjoy relegation Berry ;)

Low Blow. Let's not make this into a football discussion.

As for the site, I don't like it, as has already been said I was expecting a retail store not a design agency, I understand you're trying to develop your portfolio, so am I but I haven't been launching straight in claiming 'I'm the best', do some free work, but don't get taken for a ride, and try to build your experience and expertise. Are you sure you're interested in design? Or just money?

calm down guys, he is only trying something he thinks is acceptable. Berry is madly annoyed LOL!

I will not comment on your site because my comments will eclipse that of berry.

Also i think you came to the wrong forum because real designers and coders are appreciated here. Its not so bad and never too late to learn the basics and improve your skills.

It would be fisty cuffs in the carpark by about 10.30 first day.
Stripped to the waist iphones glistening in the early morning Fish Quay sunlight

I gotta fiver on Berry, he's small but lean and fast and a bite that's legendary
in these parts...

...and you would not want to be bitten in these parts...

well you know that Berry went 5 rounds with Muhammad Ali... 3 rounds of Carlsburg and 2 rounds of Jim Beam... :lol:

Not a nice site, probably the slowest load I have ever seen!

With regards to the whole design pro argument, not everybody wants to pay a premium for a website so in a way, he is filling a gap in the market.

Sadly, in the end the client will suffer, as the 'potential' customers will find their business image laughable, and the client would soon realise that the extra money paid for a decent designer would return 10x more business and easily pay for itself!

So effectively, all of the bad designers out there are making the good guys look even better!

hmm I don't even know if that made sense lol

charles said:
So effectively, all of the bad designers out there are making the good guys look even better!

hmm I don't even know if that made sense lol

But i don't think good guys need poor designers to elevate them.
What they need is for the commercial design to have a respectful status and industry standard like most trades. Would you trust any one with a screwdriver to rewire your house? It's not about exclusivity or ego it's about professional standard. It's getting tough for a lot of designers out there because it a crowded marketplace with varying standards and no regulation.

I somehow missed this thread first time around, which is a shame! Very entertaining and educational.
Seems like he's jumped the gun a bit. First you need a skill to sell before you try to market it.
All I can say is, if the guy can't take getting hosed on a forum he's not going to last too long with the criticisms he'll get at uni or a workplace.

It's all about taking the sh*t and using it as mortar to help build something better.

It is crowded, as Berry said.

Last week I read on a forum that three friends from the same office were made redundant in December, so decided to take up design, as they've always been able to use Dreamweaver.

It's just not cool. There should be some standards to keep the industry in order. Every week I'll hear "I like your work but another designer has quoted me less than half of what you did", so I'll lose endless clients.

I'm fine with Berry creating the rules for entering the design industry though :p

tim-ater said:
It is crowded, as Berry said.

Last week I read on a forum that three friends from the same office were made redundant in December, so decided to take up design, as they've always been able to use Dreamweaver.

It's just not cool. There should be some standards to keep the industry in order. Every week I'll hear "I like your work but another designer has quoted me less than half of what you did", so I'll lose endless clients.

I'm fine with Berry creating the rules for entering the design industry though :p

I feel for you but you can't blame those guys for trying to make some buck but trust me they won't get the big jobs as they have basic skills.

I saw this...

Berry said:
Design is not an easy way of making money, never has been. Software and Applications do not create a Designer. - I have a football in my garden, but that doesn't mean I will play for Liverpool.

and immediately remembered this...

conceptualhumorinspirat.jpg

I recommend the young guns print it out

Back