Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Menu Items Same Width or not?

Discussion in 'Website Design Forum:' started by CSparkes, May 12, 2009.

1. CSparkes

CSparkes Senior Member

Now doing menu for new site and thinking along 2 lines.

Idea 1 - Each menu item same width no matter how long text is, similar to menu on Apple

Idea 2 - Each menu item varies in width set by text length and padding.

2. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

Personally I think it depends on the site. On a site like Apple's with the menu stretching the whole width then I think equal size is the best approach. If the menu isn't stretching the whole width then I would probably go for variable lengths :)
  3. CSparkes

CSparkes Senior Member

Menu is page width like on apple.
  4. tim

tim Senior Member

I remember seeing somewhere that you can set each menu link to a fixed width <div> - should ask Harry about it, he'll probably pull something awesome out of the bag.
  5. CSparkes

CSparkes Senior Member

Yeh know how to code it both ways, have it working, but asking from a visual/design point of view.
  6. tim

tim Senior Member

Oh right, sorry, wrong end of the stick totally.

I'd say the way Apple does it, but I can't really judge unless i can see what it's like live.
  7. Greg

Greg Active Member

Hi Craig,

I would say each menu item same width as a general rule, but having said that if the menu items are of similar width (text) then the width of the item looks fine, just if there's a real contrast with one really long & one short it can look bad IMO. Hope that makes sense/helps in some way!

8. br3n

br3n Senior Member

Same width.... GRID GRID GRID!
  9. CSparkes

CSparkes Senior Member

Gone Same width, actually made coding easier if titles change for drop down menus & styling!