Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost $260 to scam!

Discussion in 'General Business Forum:' started by GilmoreVisuals, May 23, 2011.

1. GilmoreVisuals

GilmoreVisuals Active Member

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience to mine over the past week.

I signed up to freelancer and started to bid on a few projects - eventually I won a project to complete some work for $260 (160 pounds). The guy was clear what he wanted and so we started the process of designing the 4 different banners he wanted for a conference. Today he said to me he didn't want to go ahead because he decided that he was going to work with another freelancer.

Overall I completed 3 hours of work for nothing, with the exception to humiliation.

How can I prevent this from happening? Can I really charge someone before I have even started to do some work?

Thanks in advance.

2. TomStutt

TomStutt Senior Member

Did they pay a deposit? I always get 50% up front.

They are more liking not to mess you about because they have parted with money and if they do then at least you have something.

3. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Yup 50% up front.

4. davewill

davewill Senior Member

Definitely insist on a 50% deposit, its a must. Im still chasing £80 from over 12 months ago all because I didnt get a deposit first, it definitely taught me a lesson!

5. Sunburn

Sunburn Active Member

as above Deposit plus CONTRACT!

6. wac

wac Senior Member

Deposit, NO Exceptions (except mum).

7. GilmoreVisuals

Appreciate the comments. I will definitely start to have a 50% deposit.

How does it work? (I guess there are different ways) Do i have to do some work then ask for the deposit? Or they have to pay the deposit before I even start the work?

And could I set up a 'terms and conditions' or something similar that I could send individually to each client before any project commences?

Thanks for the help so far!

8. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

All hail King Greg!

9. GilmoreVisuals

Alright. I will do that from now on.

Thanks a ton :)

10. Mgraphics

Mgraphics Junior Member