Looking to animate some characters

martyvibe

Hi gang, I've been an illustrator / designer / cartoonist for the past year or so, and many people have said that my work would look good animated.

Can anyone give me tips on what software is best to use? I already own CS5 but have heard that other programs such as Anime Studio are good bets.

Also, anyone know of good tutorials for the creative process? I've seen many on YouTube and don't really want to watch dozens of videos and then finding out they're not what I'm looking for.

My work can be seen here: www.gutterwipe.com. Thanks in advance.

If you already have CS5, then you already have After Effects and Flash, right? That's all you'll need, especially as they're specifically designed to work with Photoshop and Illustrator which I assume play some part in the illustrations to start with?

I personally don't use Flash because (from admittedly what little I know of it) it's very limited in terms of moving image. You can certainly animate illustrated characters with it though, but if you wanted to take motion further, I'd recommend giving AE a go.

Either way, there's loads of free training videos on Adobe's site for both options. You'll need to start with a basic introduction to the software to familiarise yourself with the workflow, then check out some character animation tutorials.

Yeah I already have After Effects, Flash, and also Premiere Pro.

I was gearing towards AE but always nice to get others opinions, so looks like I'll work with this. Cheers.

I really rate After Effects as an animation solution. It can do a lot of great things. Have you ever seen Video Copilot? Full of great tutorials, but maybe not the right sort of thing. It's got the basics covered fairly well though.

There's another resource, I'll try and dig it out. More cartoon related too.

This is it, sorry for the double post;

http://www.sketchypictures.com/tag/make-cartoon-in-ae/

Back