Logo modification

Invader

Hi all,

I have a possible issue, or maybe not.

Client A.
I created a logo for a client. They liked it, used and paid for it. No problems at all. No contract was signed.
They've come back to me for some more work and casually mentioned that their web designer has "had a little play around" with the existing logo. They've used two small elements from the original logo in the new version. Is this allowed and should I say anything? I have a good relationship with them. They pay very quickly and are pretty decent.

Client B
I created a two logos for two different but similar business's. Paid and happy.
After a couple of years they ditched logo 1 for Business B.
Then used the same artwork/icon for logo 1 that Business A was using to create a new logo just in a different colour.

I don't have any more work from them. No contract signed etc.

Is this legally acceptable?

Client A - they paid you to get to a point and go there and paid for it - so it's theres and they can do what they like. You don't own the logo - they do.

Client B - Again - they own it - they paid for it - they can do what they like with it.
If it breaches any copyright infringements between the 2 companies - then that's on them - not you.

Client A - they paid you to get to a point and go there and paid for it - so it's theres and they can do what they like. You don't own the logo - they do.

Client B - Again - they own it - they paid for it - they can do what they like with it.
If it breaches any copyright infringements between the 2 companies - then that's on them - not you.

OK. Isn't there infringement issues here? Also, as no contract were signed don't I still own the artwork under intellectual property rights etc?

Contracts aren't just pen and paper.

When you go to a shop - You look at products provided on the shelf- you choose a product and you hand that product to the clerk, and the clerk scans it and says "£5.00" and you hand over £5.00 and take the product and walk out. That's a contract - you don't need to sign a piece of paper to make that purchase.

When you buy something, you enter into a contract with the business who sells it to you.

Your scenario:
What you had is a piece of artwork that you created. You showed it to a buyer. They paid for it. And they now own it.

If you had a contract that stated you retained all rights to the logo - and they agreed to that - then you have something.

However, usually it's in a contract that once they purchase the image they own all rights to it any way.

Fair enough. So using my initial first problem with someone else creating a new logotype based on what I've already provided. i.e. They chosen a slightly different typeface and used elements I've created to customise it. Surely that isn't right?

Ethically - it's wrong.

I'd let it go - there's no point in wasting any further time on it.

You could take them to the small claims court - but you'd have to have all your ducks in a row as to why they owe you something.

Unless this is a multi-billion dollar company - then why waste time on it.

Move on - get a contract and learn from this.

Ethically - it's wrong.

I'd let it go - there's no point in wasting any further time on it.

You could take them to the small claims court - but you'd have to have all your ducks in a row as to why they owe you something.

Unless this is a multi-billion dollar company - then why waste time on it.

Move on - get a contract and learn from this.

Good point. Thanks for the advice. Lesson learned.

Back