• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Logo Competition Feedback

Hi, Can I just get your opinion on these intitial designs that I have for a competition, I need to try and build up my portfolio so I thought doing some competitions might be a good idea.

Thanks

Chris

Brief:
iStay.com is a soon to launch marketplace for short-term accommodation rental.
The marketplace will allow normal people to rent out spaces in their homes/appartments to professionals/travellers who need somewhere to stay.
Say your visting new york for a weekend, and dont want/have enough cash for a hotel room - you can log onto iStay.com and find a whole bunch of rooms which you can rent from people directly instead of going to a hotel/youth hostel etc
iStay.com will be a young/cool site, run by a young cool startup.
The site will also have social networking features, wherer people can chat with each other, share holiday experiences etc.

Requirements:

our site is designed in a minimalist way.
we do have orange colour for buttons. (but used very sparingly)
We need a simple logo which will work online/offline etc.
Main thing being the word iStay.com -
Tagline - hasnt been decided yet, but will be 4-6 words and needs to be on the logo somewhere.
the logo needs to look FRESH, COOL and SIMPLE

tim

i like one or two, but it's nothing that i haven't seen before.

personally i'd go for a logo that stands out- imagine how many million logos there are for estate agents etc that involve a house outline../

Levi

Staff member
Honestly, they look too generic to me, the second one looks like a mountain too.

Personally I would have gone differently, my first instinct from the brief was its basically a bed to rent service and as such I would have used a 'bed' concept, the i being a perfect headboard from the side :).

As a side note, anyone else getting fed up with the 'iPod' style I in non apple brands now, especially if theyre not even relating to apple comptuters/ipods etc.

Krey20

They want to keep it simple and minimal, so I'd say the hand drawn elements will clash with that too much.
I'd stick with a typographic approach, perhaps incorporating the house graphic (if you are that attached to it), within it somewhere.

Maybe playing around with some type will spark a different concept so you won't have to use an graphic as such. I'd try to find a simple, clever solution using pure type. I think that would satisfy the minimal part of the brief, especially if you can find a smart and elegant design within it.

berry

I hate the concept of 'tag line goes here".
Brand ID's should not rely on a tagline underneath the logo. This is two completeley separate areas and issues. It is not part of the logo design and only adds confusion.
Also when developing a new brand, a tagline or 'the brand truth' generally comes before the ID design as it defines the brand values and therefore the logo design reflects that.
It's like starting a business without having a business plan...

As for the designs in the first post, they are like Bedouin tents. so I hate them

ch3tzy

^ makes sense berry..

"the brand truth" - should reflect in the id / logo ... in this case the client hasnt decided what this is..what would you say to the client.. (not being a pain, but if this was a real situation, would be interested in how you would deal with the client)

shit also noticed 1,007 well done...lol where was you..

Kevin

Go for some sort of combination between the the third one down in the first column, and the top one in the second column.